Mechanic's Explanation Doesn't Make Any Sense (Demands te)
11-17-2021, (Subject: Mechanic's Explanation Doesn't Make Any Sense (Demands te) ) 
Mechanic's Explanation Doesn't Make Any Sense (Demands te)
Hi guys,

Been dealing with a local mechanic here and he said a couple things that don't make sense to me.

1. I got a truck demandated, the service engine light stays on constantly (been months) and says 25% derated. Mechanic said he needs to update the ecm and will do it later on and it's fine if the light stays on and there is no issues with the truck.

2. Another truck that was demandated had an ECM go bad (truck would shutoff and power on randomly). Mechanic said if I bought a new ECM from kenworth, he would have to charge me for a full demandate again. So I ended up going with a used ECM he already had that was already demandated. Isn't it possible to just copy the cummins calibration file from the bad ECM that is demandated to the brand new one?

3. I have a 2013 Cummins CM2250. Truck is mandated. Whenever the truck is running idle the turbo is making a sound. I would describe it as the turbo is oscillating. Turbo gauge doesn't move. Mechanic said it's not an issue, but my other isx don't do it so I feel like it's a problem.

I have a Cummins Insite but only use it to check faults and do manual regens.

Could anyone please advise whether what the mechanic is saying is true. I have a gut feeling that he is not giving me the story straight.
replyreply
11-17-2021, (Subject: Mechanic's Explanation Doesn't Make Any Sense (Demands te) ) 
RE: Mechanic's Explanation Doesn't Make Any Sense (Demands te)
RUN AS FAST AS YOU CAN FROM THERE!!!! get in contact with runningrough here on the forum to do a proper demandate on it for you. Whatever that guy did to the ECM he sold you, I can guarantee you it's a total hack job that will kill your engine.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
 Thanks given by: SquareOne , Nostalgic , Vancity , amermextrucker , LRT1549
^^----yep, what Tree98 said. There's plenty of snakes out there ready to take your hard earned money for as long as you'll let them. Rather than educate themselves on the proper repair techniques, they'll steady drum up business on the sheep that follow the next guy.... def get away from that clown.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Vancity , amermextrucker
(11-17-2021 )Vancity Wrote:  ...
I got a truck demandated, the service engine light stays on constantly (been months) and says 25% derated.

This is a sure-fire sign of a BAD DELETE PROGRAM!.. and bad delete programs WILL DESTROY YOUR TURBO AND/OR ENGINE of=ver time!!>. lead to a severely shortened engine life!.

a proper de-mandate does not leave the engine in a permanent derate condition.. nor leaves CEL lights on in the dash. Sounds to me like a genuine hack-n-slash hack-job to me.

===================

Another truck that was demandated had an ECM go bad (truck would shutoff and power on randomly). Mechanic said if I bought a new ECM from kenworth, he would have to charge me for a full demandate again. So I ended up going with a used ECM he already had that was already demandated. Isn't it possible to just copy the cummins calibration file from the bad ECM that is demandated to the brand new one?

ABSOLUTELY!!!.... IT IS EASY TO COPY THE PROGRAM FORM ONE ECM TO ANOTHER!!!... THIS GUY IS ABSOLUTELY BEYOND CLUELESS!!!!... AND/OR TRYING TO COMPLETELY RIP YOU OFF!!!.

... YOU CANNOT JUST SLAP ANOTHER ECM WITH A PROGRAM MEANT FOR ANOTHER TRUCK... ONTO YOUR ENGINE AND EXPECT EVERYTHING TO MAGICALLY ADAPT TO YOUR ENGINE!!!... THIS IS A BIG NO-NO... INJECTOR OFFSETS, CYLINDER BALANCING, AND PERHAPS EVEN THE PROGRAM MAY NOT EVEN BE FOR YOUR EXACT HARDWARE ON YOUR TRUCK.ENGINE MODEL!!!.... FROM WHAT YOUR SAYING SO FAR ... THIS GUY IS COMPLETELY GODDAMN BEYOND CLUELESS!!! with regard to ecm programming and modern trucks in general perhaps.

======================

(11-17-2021 )Vancity Wrote:  ...;
I have a 2013 Cummins CM2250. Truck is mandated. Whenever the truck is running idle the turbo is making a sound. I would describe it as the turbo is oscillating. Turbo gauge doesn't move. Mechanic said it's not an issue, but my other isx don't do it so I feel like it's a problem.

THIS IS A SIGN of a bad delete where the engine is hung up in an SCR warm-up operating mode. Turbo surging and over-spooling permanently because the engine is running in the wrong operating mode. WHAT MOST OF THESE COMPLETELY CLUELESS DAMN "DELETE TUNING" CLOWNS DO is unplug s$it.. block the faults from showing up in the dash.. then gut out the cans.. ONLY THE ECM IS NOT THAT DAMN SMART!!!>.. IT STILL TRIES TO WARM UP THE EXHAUST SYSTEM BY GOING INTO EMISSIONS WARM-UP MODE (the turbo spools up and engine makes extra internal friction and heat) to meet the EPA requirement of the system needing to be at 500+F temps so that it will pass emissions tests... abut the damn thing cannot read the sensors any more AND GETS STUCK PERMANENTLY TRYING TO WARM UP THE EXHAUST BUT NEVER GETS SATISFIED.. over-working everything on the engine and leading to its rapid demise!!!/.

--- IT IS THE MOST COMMON MISTAKE that these complete idiots who are making these bad delete program out there are known for... It is an absolute plague in the truckling industry!!!.. bad delete programs are more than 90%+ guaranteed to be what gets shoved into someone's engine when they have that stuff done to their truck/engine!.

-- NOT ONLY THAT... BuT THEN THESE SAME CLUELESS "SO-CALLED TUNING" IDIOTS WILL PROCEED TO GO AROUND CHARGING AND GOUGING EVERY TRUCK OWNER THEY CAN FOR THOUSANDS OF $$$ AND RIPP THEM OFF IN EXCHANGE FOR COMPLETE ENGINE KILLING GARBAGE CRAP THAT THEY GOT USUALLY FOR FREE (OR PAID FOR LIKE AN IDIOT) OFF SOME ENGINE TUNIGN WEBSITE... WHERE ALL THIS TRASH FESTERS!!!!>.. THEY GET AWAY WITH IT BECAUSE THEY KNOW THAT THE TRUCK OWNERS WHO DO NOT KNOW ANY BETTER, WILL PAY BIG $$$ TO GET RIPPED OFF BECAUSE THAT IS WHAT THEY DO NOT KNOW ANY BETTER!!!!!..

IT IS CALLED EXPLOITATION!!!! AND TRUCK OWNERS GET CAUGHT UP IN THIS CRAP BECAUSE THEY DON'T DO ENOUGH PROPER RESEARCH ON THE SUBJECT ,.. AND KEEP THE RIP-OFF CLOWNS IN BUSINESS!!!>.. JUST LIKE, IT SEEMS, WAS DONE TO YOU AND YOUR EQUIPMENT!

-- YOU NEED TO KNOW ... ESPECIALLY ON A $40,000 COMMERCIAL ENGINE THAT YOU HAVE TO RELY ON EVERY DAY FOR THE SUCCESS OF YOUR YOUR TRUCKING BUSINESS .. EXACTLY WHAT THE H#ELL SOMEONE HAS DONE.. NOT GUESS AND BLINDLY RELY ON GARBAGE AND GODDAMN FALSE PROMISES ... FROM A PLAGUED INDUSTRY WHERE GARBAGE-CAN BAD-DELETE, ENGINE / TURBOCHARGER KILLING PROGRAMMING IS 90%+ THE NORM NOT THE EXCEPTION!.

==================

YOU SAID THAT YOU HAVE INSITE.. AND AN ADAPTER ... All you would have needed is the Calterm program (can be found on the www for free if u look in the right places) to go with what you already have AND YOU COULD HAVE PULLED YOUR OWN FILE OUT OF THAT ECM YOURSELF .. back it up.. copy it to a brand new ecm,... etc.etc..

so ... (yeah, that mechanic is that dumb!)

AND YOU SHOULD HAVE NEVER PAID ANYONE ELSE TO DO THAT GARBAGE HACK-JOB TRASH "used ecm garbage excuse" replacement to your engine/truck!!!... YOU ALREADY HAVE THE TOOLS YOURSELF!! ... LEARN TO USE THEM to at least be able to copy your own ecm program in/out of the ecm. ... AND STOP GETTING RIPPED OFF!.

You need to get a copy of the CT software that is used to back-up/restore the ecm programming properly.. Then copy the program from of that ecm.. and send it to me via e-mail for a proper review. I will tell you exactly what someone did... good, bad. or downright harmful. THAT is the place to start getting you mess straightened out.. THAT ECM WILL DESTROY THAT ENGINE (and/or turbo) OVER TIME IF THAT PROGRAM IS NOT 110% CORRECT... AND MY ADVICE IS THAT YOU NEVER EVER AGAIN, TAKE CHANCES LIKE THAT WITH YOUR PRIMARY MEANS OF MAKING YOUR LIVING AGAIN!!!... That is absolutely a bad business decision!!!>.

ANY custom programming in that engine/truck.. YOU SHOULD HAVE HAD A COPY OF IT FOR YOUR RECORDS . SO THAT YOU ARE NEVER AT THE MERCY OF SOME "TUNING IDIOT" AND WHATEVER DEMANDS THEY WANT TO PLACE ON YOU" ... AND IN CASE THE ECM DIES OR THE PROGRAMMING EVER GOT LOST!!!... FIRST AND FOREMOST!!!... ALWAYS HAVE A PROPER BACKUP COPY OF ANYTHING LIKE THAT!!!

and next.. you should have had that programming looked at by someone who could tell you EXACTLY what that engine was going to do.. what engine mode(s) it was going to be running in .. and any/all of the other things that may have been altered.. THAT IS THE DEATH OF THE ISX ENIGNES.. AND WHY PEOPLE DISLIKE THEM!!!.. BAD PROGRAMMING AND BAD DELETES,.,. THEN BLAME IT ALL ON THE TRUCK AND ENGINE after!

here is some fine reading for your own education...
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...5#pid13255

.. If you value your equipment at all .. you need to ASAP.. get that program copied out of that ecm and e-mail it over to me so that I can review it and tell you exactly what is going on.

bad deletes and horror stories are an every day plague around here. Some people wake up to this fact.. some refuse to listen to the truth. It sounds to me so far that your starting to wake up and realize that you have been lied to.. ripped off.. and now are starting to see the consequences as such.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Vancity , quickrigs , amermextrucker , juicefromaus
Sounds like the type that gives REAL Techs a bad name,
Really hate folks like that, makes it hard for a driver to trust anyone
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Vancity , amermextrucker
Thanks Rawze. You and your website are the only explanations that make sense to me and are logical. I will get a copy of CT and send that to you Asap.

The truck that has an oscillating turbo is not demandated. It had the dpf, scr, and egr valve replaced last yr. I assume I should change the EGR pressure sensor and differential pressure sensor to start to fix that oscillating turbo.

Also thanks for the reply tree98 and squareone!
replyreply
The truck that has an oscillating turbo is not demandated. It had the dpf, scr, and egr valve replaced last yr. I assume I should change the EGR pressure sensor and differential pressure sensor to start to fix that oscillating turbo....

its likely related to this...
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...8#pid22458

and/or excessive CAC or other boost/ intake leaking .. or plugged up exhaust system.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Vancity
Hey Rawze. The link you sent says I don't have permission to perform that action. Could you please resend the link when you get the chance.
replyreply
11-18-2021, (Subject: Mechanic's Explanation Doesn't Make Any Sense (Demands te) ) 
(11-17-2021 )Vancity Wrote:  Thanks Rawze. You and your website are the only explanations that make sense to me and are logical. I will get a copy of CT and send that to you Asap.

The truck that has an oscillating turbo is not demandated. It had the dpf, scr, and egr valve replaced last yr. I assume I should change the EGR pressure sensor and differential pressure sensor to start to fix that oscillating turbo.

Also thanks for the reply tree98 and squareone!

A 2013 CM2250 dump, you're likely at 15,000 - 20,000 hours unless you're doing local city work. Does it have the original turbo on it? An incorrect turbo will chuff like no tomorrow. When I had my cm2250 rebuilt, had put a loner turbo on it for two weeks because the one from YTS was that far away. It would chuff really loud at the air cleaners. If someone has replaced that turbo, check to ensure it's the appropriate one for the S/N and the program.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Vancity

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.