09 Cummins 871 with ultrashift
12-20-2021, (Subject: 09 Cummins 871 with ultrashift ) 
09 Cummins 871 with ultrashift
I've had my truck since 13 and it came with 500k miles. Recently it developed a rear structure leak. Took it to the shop, they pulled out trans, clutch, fw, rear structure and driveshaft. Truck has 1.3million on it. They replaced with new mounts, structure gasket and resurfaced the fw, new clutch, new xy shifter, inertia brake and driveshaft. Drove the truck for 16 days and got stuck in a truck stop, it didn't want to come out of drive, dash flashing f. Went inside the store and 20 min, came out was able to get the truck out into neutral. I got under the truck to check and found the 5 top bolts to be non existent. Placed a strap under trans and got it out of the fuel island and caught a ride to get (5) 7/16×16 bolts to find out that the threads was stripped out of the fw housing. Other than the bolts with washers not torqued to spec, what would cause this to happen? Thanks in advance.[/font]
replyreply
RE: 09 Cummins 871 with ultrashift
the shop not using a proper torque-wrench... that is why bolts strip out in an aluminum housing like that.

How much you want to bet if you call em up and ask the mechanic who did the work, what the proper torque for those bolts are, they will at best.. fumble around ,... and have to look it up for the first time somewhere .. and otherwise, has no clue, because it is not standard practice for them to actually do the job right.

the solution is to tear it all out again and properly heli-coil the stripped out bolt holes.. that, or replace the flywheel housing all together. - Should be done at the expense of the person who did not use a torque r=wrench on it to begin with.. but you kn ow there is likely no way they will own up to such mistakes in the first place.

Welcome to half-arssed truck repairs r us.. This is the age we live in.. That is why i am so adamant about people doing as much as possible to their own equipment these days.. or at least making sure a mechanic is going to use a damn torque wrench and use proper methods.. this kind of stuff is nothing to play with.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: hookliftpete , Nostalgic , tree98 , JMBT , quickrigs
Its a shame because that information isn't at all hard to find. 2 minutes on quickserve and you wouldn't have 5 stripped out holes.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
12-21-2021, (Subject: 09 Cummins 871 with ultrashift ) 
Half inch drive air impact is what happen.. I see it all the time guys will pull trans in that way too...
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , quickrigs
12-21-2021, (Subject: 09 Cummins 871 with ultrashift ) 
(12-21-2021 )Mr Hagg Wrote:  Half inch drive air impact is what happen.. I see it all the time guys will pull trans in that way too...
That with even a 36 inch ext to reach to the back and it will never stop turning and will remove all them threads.... I done it once as a rookie lol
replyreply
12-22-2021, (Subject: 09 Cummins 871 with ultrashift ) 
One thing I like to do is read reviews, check on google reviews, find a referral of that shop to see if they do quality work or not before I go to anyplace. I would call the shop back up. Tell them what happened. Worth a try right. That is not any small money. It's a big deal.
Do you know this shop or is this is a new place you went to?

User's Signature: Also known as Shotgun
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.