THINGS TO LOOK OUT FOR ENGINE YEAR 2016?
05-20-2022, (Subject: THINGS TO LOOK OUT FOR ENGINE YEAR 2016? ) 
THINGS TO LOOK OUT FOR ENGINE YEAR 2016?
Good afternoon everybody! Name is Jay and im on the market for a truck. Im lookin at a 2017 Pete 579 with an isx15. Truck has 580k miles on it. Dealership said I am welcome to bring a mechanic and perform a dyno on it as well as an oul analysis. What are some things to check before even dynoing the truck? Ive read to look at the fuel pump head to make sure they are intact and rollers are flawless. Is taking the valve cover off to inspect the cam something that a dealer should allow? Oil behind the front cover? Imap sensor packed. What other isx gremlins should my mechanic and i be on the look out for during a prepurchase? Im not expecting to get a new truck at this mileage. Just trying to catch little problems before they become big ones. Thanks yall
replyreply
RE: THINGS TO LOOK OUT FOR ENGINE YEAR 2016?
It is difficult to buy a used truck these days that has not been completely run into the ground by the time it has 500k+ miles on it.

What hp and rear end ratio does it have?... if it is geared too tall then the engine is likely shot at that mileage and headed real fast towards an inframe.

Also, if it has 500+k miles (or more than 8,000 engine hours) ... ALL the guts of the fuel pump need replacing at that point ... LIKE RIGHT NOW!>>>> It does not matter what the inside of the pump components looks like. Replacing the tappets, roller, plungers was due at 400k and most likely has not been done yet.

Some other homework reading for ya...
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...5#pid51755
and...
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...4#pid71474
and.
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...4#pid66994
and.
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...2#pid61142
and.
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...0#pid37880

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: ElJay90
Thanks rawze! It is a 10 speed with 2.47 gears on it. I had planned on hetting the pump internals rebuilt as it is. I just wanted to ensure there isnt already damages caused. It has 13800 hours on it. Its being sold by paccar financial.
replyreply
(05-20-2022 )ElJay90 Wrote:  Thanks rawze! It is a 10 speed with 2.47 gears on it. I had planned on hetting the pump internals rebuilt as it is. I just wanted to ensure there isnt already damages caused. It has 13800 hours on it. Its being sold by paccar financial.

You seriously need to pass that one up and go look for something that is not geared to eat the guts out of the engine from being lugged to death. Those rears are absolutely horrific and set up to have eaten that engines lifespan up already. That engine is ready for an inframe at this point with those miles and that gearing. You will be sinking another $28,000+ more into it in a year or less with those rear ends spec's like that... and then speeding several thousands more on re-gearing it too.

and btw.. that warranty is not worth the paper it is written on.

Go find something with a set of 3.79's in it.

Don't say you were not warned.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: ElJay90 , johnnydngrs
All i needed to hear rawze! Thank you!
I plan on sticking to the 400 to 450 hp range with either 10 speed or 13 speed. For 10speed your recommend 3.79. Is 13 speed requirements different? Thank you
replyreply
(05-20-2022 )ElJay90 Wrote:  All i needed to hear rawze! Thank you!
I plan on sticking to the 400 to 450 hp range with either 10 speed or 13 speed. For 10speed your recommend 3.79. Is 13 speed requirements different? Thank you

find a truck with the right sleeper height vs. the type of freight you will be hauling. Also make sure it has a set of 3.55's, or maybe 3.79 rears, or something better unless you are going to heavy-haul with it (above 80k).

Above 80k, it needs at least a set of 3.90's, or perhaps 4.11's, or if your going really heavy, maybe even a set of 4.68's or something. .. depends on the type of freight you are going to haul.

In other words.. an improperly spec'd truck is going to break you, plain as that. Any equipment needs to be properly spec'd.. and anything with a set of 3.36's or higher is going to have half the engine life as anything geared right.

read thru all the links i posted above. See what i have mentioned in the past on these subjects and what to look for and expect when getting a used truck. It is not all glee and shiny smells.. it is a serious thing to purchase an expensive piece of equipment .. and any mis-matches, you will regret it because it will take money away from your net profit margin by a whole lot sometimes.

What kind of freight do you plan on hauling?... regional?, local?, OTR?,.. off-oads?... construction equipment?, RGN?. dry-van?. flat-bed?. car hauler? .. etc.etc. ... all of those things make a big difference on what specs are needed.

replyreply
 Thanks given by: ElJay90 , johnnydngrs , JMBT
I plan on hauling local (150 mile radius). I am hauling containers from Port of LA and long Beach. 98 % of the time i will be sub 80k pounds. I want a sleeper for comfort only. Sometimes i wait in the Port for hours. Coffin or studio doesn't matter.
replyreply
(05-20-2022 )ElJay90 Wrote:  I plan on hauling local (150 mile radius). I am hauling containers from Port of LA and long Beach. 98 % of the time i will be sub 80k pounds. I want a sleeper for comfort only. Sometimes i wait in the Port for hours. Coffin or studio doesn't matter.

Then it will be doing a lot of city + traffic and the like. You want something geared low so that it can handle the constant start-stop type of strain and conditions, etc. - you also want some extended life steer tires, as they will get eaten up by all the hard right turns vs. a highway truck that goes for hours on end every day on the interstates.

Personally, if I found myself in that situation and were going to use my Prostar for local/regional, I would put/want a set of 4.11's in it right away. This is so that it had a whole less strain on the engine and drive train dealing with the stop-n-go short haul types of loads and so that I could get it up and doing and on the move into that city traffic on/off ramps, etc. without too much hassles. I would also want something aero and with a short wheel base + tight turn radius to deal with deliveries and those tighter fit situations too. ... but that s just me.

That region you are in.. you will also want to ensure it is always emissions compliant.. because those ports do random inspections. This means keeping after that emissions system like a hawk yourself + investing a few hundred $$$ into an adapter and a laptop for dealing with engine and emissions issues , etc.. BEFORE they plague you so that it does not run you into the ground. You are also going o want to invest in some sort of anti-theft device or anti-theft trick, because those ports where you are at, people steal trucks all the time there.

replyreply
 Thanks given by: ElJay90 , johnnydngrs
(05-20-2022 )Rawze Wrote:  
(05-20-2022 )ElJay90 Wrote:  I plan on hauling local (150 mile radius). I am hauling containers from Port of LA and long Beach. 98 % of the time i will be sub 80k pounds. I want a sleeper for comfort only. Sometimes i wait in the Port for hours. Coffin or studio doesn't matter.

Then it will be doing a lot of city + traffic and the like. You want something geared low so that it can handle the constant start-stop type of strain and conditions, etc. - you also want some extended life steer tires, as they will get eaten up by all the hard right turns vs. a highway truck that goes for hours on end every day on the interstates.

Personally, if I found myself in that situation and were going to use my Prostar for local/regional, I would put/want a set of 4.11's in it right away. This is so that it had a whole less strain on the engine and drive train dealing with the stop-n-go short haul types of loads and so that I could get it up and doing and on the move into that city traffic on/off ramps, etc. without too much hassles. I would also want something aero and with a short wheel base + tight turn radius to deal with deliveries and those tighter fit situations too. ... but that s just me.

That region you are in.. you will also want to ensure it is always emissions compliant.. because those ports do random inspections. This means keeping after that emissions system like a hawk yourself + investing a few hundred $$$ into an adapter and a laptop for dealing with engine and emissions issues , etc.. BEFORE they plague you so that it does not run you into the ground. You are also going o want to invest in some sort of anti-theft device or anti-theft trick, because those ports where you are at, people steal trucks all the time there.

Everything you said is on point down to the theft. Ive already got a gps unit ready with subscription. Already have a dedicated laptop. Just was torn between cummins and paccar to buy otr or insight (iirc) but given you cant do in inframe on a paccar, im partial to cummins. Not a matter of if it will ever need a rebuild. Its when. Gonna be tough finding a unit with higher than 355 gears. Much less 4.11.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.