THINGS TO LOOK OUT FOR ENGINE YEAR 2016?
05-20-2022, (Subject: THINGS TO LOOK OUT FOR ENGINE YEAR 2016? ) 
RE: THINGS TO LOOK OUT FOR ENGINE YEAR 2016?
(05-20-2022 )ElJay90 Wrote:  ...
Everything you said is on point down to the theft. Ive already got a gps unit ready with subscription. Already have a dedicated laptop. Just was torn between cummins and paccar to buy otr or insight (iirc) but given you cant do in inframe on a paccar, im partial to cummins. Not a matter of if it will ever need a rebuild. Its when. Gonna be tough finding a unit with higher than 355 gears. Much less 4.11.

yes, it will be hard to find something with a short wheel base and 4.11's. This means budgeting about $4800 or so for set of rears (remans from weller are ok) if all other specs are ok, and putting them in right away along with all the other up front things that need to be done to it, like re-torquing wheel hubs, going thru the engine and emissions systems to clean it all up again, replace old sensors, etc.. replacing things on the truck that are worn out like shocks, bushings, etc. and all the other stuffs to get it reliable again.

As far as the Insite software goes... that stuffs in on the interwebs for free if ya look in the right places... just saying. The adapter and laptop is the important part of it.

Set yourself up for success. Do the things that a successful, wise Owner op would do, like the things that I mentioned above. Take your time to make sure you get what is needed and spec'd as such. Expect anything you buy to require you having to go thru everything to make it reliable again and do not take shortcuts. Get all of the maintenance schedule (all of the 120k interval, 250k interval, 500k interval, etc.) items done for the engine and truck to get it up to par. Do those things that make someone successful up front properly and the results for those extra efforts will show.

And yeah, the only advantage of owning a red engine is so that you have something you can work on yourself to keep after it so that problems do not plague it. Otherwise, if someone wants to do nothing but hold the steering wheel and run off to a repair shop every time it acts up, then the brand of engine will not matter so much because your going to be in a shop wasting all your profits every time the CEL light comes on.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: ElJay90 , johnnydngrs
05-21-2022, (Subject: THINGS TO LOOK OUT FOR ENGINE YEAR 2016? ) 
I appreciate your insight man i really do! Youve been a great help!
replyreply
It would be good to also install an Amsoil oil bypass on it as well.

User's Signature: It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person
replyreply
 Thanks given by: ElJay90
(05-21-2022 )hhow55 Wrote:  It would be good to also install an Amsoil oil bypass on it as well.
Definitely, already on my shopping cart. Need to call my local cummins dealer and see if they have the fuel pump rebuild kit in stock.
replyreply
05-22-2022, (Subject: THINGS TO LOOK OUT FOR ENGINE YEAR 2016? ) 
Very good advice on updating the fuel pump. Based on my experience with this fuel pump , I would update and in no more than 2 years replace the fuel pump head with a PX , I don't think they offer an NX ( brand new ) .

The reason I say this is the relief valves go bad inside the head and throw the 0559 code. If that happens you'll be chasing ghosts and throwing money at it. JMO.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: ElJay90
I see several trucks with 3.90 rears on truckpaper.com

User's Signature: It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person
replyreply
(05-22-2022 )amermextrucker Wrote:  Very good advice on updating the fuel pump. Based on my experience with this fuel pump , I would update and in no more than 2 years replace the fuel pump head with a PX , I don't think they offer an NX ( brand new ) .

The reason I say this is the relief valves go bad inside the head and throw the 0559 code. If that happens you'll be chasing ghosts and throwing money at it. JMO.
Care to elaborate on those px nx pump heads please? Thank you!
replyreply
What mileage and hours should i he looking at? My price range in 90k max. 90% of what i see on truck paper are mega carriers fleet trucks specd for mpg. 2.47 to mayyyybe 3.55 Max
replyreply
08-02-2022, (Subject: THINGS TO LOOK OUT FOR ENGINE YEAR 2016? ) 
Hey guys, took a break from truck hunting while the market cooled down. I'm currently lookin at a 2016 pete 386 with a cummins 450, 10 speed and 3.55 rear end ratio. 455k miles. Besides having the shop check the pump head, cam scoring, diff shavings and trans shavings, blow-by and coolant exhaust contamination what else should I have checked mechanically?
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.