Cm870 needs another valve cam please help
01-22-2023, (Subject: Cm870 needs another valve cam please help ) 
Cm870 needs another valve cam please help
I’ve got a cm870 565hp that has flaked another valve cam. This one only lasted 80,000miles
Looks like it’s the same lobe as last time. I replaced the affected rocker last time also.
I’ve been reading about an updated cam with wider lobes and updated rockers with wider followers.
I’m guessing my best bet is replace everything this time? What the best place for me to purchase? Cummins directly?
Any other opinions or options?
Thanks for any help.
replyreply
RE: Cm870 needs another valve cam please help
How often do you change your oil? This cam that only lasted 80K, was it brand new? Was it genuine cummins or aftermarket? What's your oil pressure at idle and running down the road? Is the engine demandated? if so for how long?

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
(01-22-2023 )tree98 Wrote:  How often do you change your oil? This cam that only lasted 80K, was it brand new? Was it genuine cummins or aftermarket? What's your oil pressure at idle and running down the road? Is the engine demandated? if so for how long?

Oil changed 8-10 thousand miles using Shafers oil
Reman cam from ATL
22 psi idle 42-44 depending on oil temp (oil pump has some dimes in it)
Engine is still intact. (Getting ready for some parts to fall off though)
replyreply
(01-22-2023 )Sledpuller Wrote:  Reman cam from ATL

It's very likely the problem.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
(01-22-2023 )tree98 Wrote:  
(01-22-2023 )Sledpuller Wrote:  Reman cam from ATL

It's very likely the problem.

That’s what I’m thinking too. At the time it was my only option, monetarily.
What are the best options moving forward? I’ve even read about non vgt cams, I’m not against changing the turbo out if need be.
I’ve read about updated wider lobe cams and rocker followers also
replyreply
First of all.. OEM only on the components.

NEXT: Replace ALL the rockers + the rocker shafts for that side + the cam. Don't half-arrse it.. you will get a half-arssed results. -== By the time a cam lobe wears out, so is all the rocker bearings and bleeding oil and lowering the oil pressure for the entire assembly.

Also important, .. the cam lobes do not wear out prematurely if the engine is well cared for.. (decent oil brand like rotella or delo, or delvac).. AND ... no crank case pressure is allowed to build up. This means that if it has high blo=-by or some moron is not changing cc filter often enough,. then it will starve the top-end of oil and wipe out cams.

Also happens when some fool runs synthetic oil in these engines.. and don't change the oil but every 30k miles or more... or does not do any tune-up work, and lets the whole engine get soot-packed all to h#ell from neglect.

more on cam wear...
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...783#pid783

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.