cm870 needs a head (so I can get ahead)
01-31-2017, (Subject: cm870 needs a head (so I can get ahead) ) 
RE: cm870 needs a head (so I can get ahead)

(01-30-2017 )Redpower870 Wrote:  ...
new software from 475 to 550 (from Cummins)

This could be a mistake. If your engine was built for 475-HP, and you put a 550 program in it, it is more likely than not that you are running a program for wrong size injectors. If this is the case, it throws everything in the engine off a bit. Is not so good for the head, liners, efficiency, or anything else for that matter. Put a program back in it that matches the engine based on its serial number, CPL, and static timing offset. After that, if you want it turned up that high, then I would suggest you contact Unilevers and/or Gearhead for a custom program designed for the size injectors and other components you have so that it is done correctly.

(01-30-2017 )Redpower870 Wrote:  ....
they can't "find" my head. "Not to worry" says machine shop...."we have another one here and will send it right out". I should have known it wouldn't end well.
AND

A head from a REPUTABLE shop is forthcoming later this week

You are still barking up the wrong tree and not likely to solve your issues long term it sounds like.

My experience through helping many others over the past several years has pointed to the ISX HEAD not being worth putting back onto an engine after 435,000 miles or so of use. 4 out of 5 will either not pass a thorough magnaflux test, or have just enough issues that you don't want to re-use it. A shop that re-works them by removing even more metal is bad for them all around in my own opinion as well. - I say screw trying to get a re-worked head from someone to save a few dollars. It is more reliable in the end to just buy a brand new one (not even a certified re-man) for about $3600 - $3800 or so from cummins. One that does NOT have an RX stamped into it as part of the part#. Otherwise you are in the same boat yet again in another 200 - 400k miles.

Just my own FOS thoughts on it -- Rawze

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: schISM , Waterloo , Redpower870 , overshot

Messages In This Thread
RE: cm870 needs a head (so I can get ahead) - Rawze - 01-31-2017

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.