CM871 things to check after purchase?
03-29-2016, (Subject: CM871 things to check after purchase? ) 
RE: CM871 things to check after purchase?
(03-28-2016 )Hedley Wrote:  nope, all the prostars (I have 28 of them) that had 180 amp alternators had electrical issue which promptly went away when we replaced them with the 325 amp alternator that they were speced with from factory.

My ProStar had the Leece alternator, and she went teets up around 750,000 miles, and was replaced with a Delco reman from TA roughly two years ago. I still have the Leece as they would not take it in core exchange... I was broke down and took what they had. I don't recall the amperage of either, but I can tell you this, after inspecting and replacing 80 feet of my trucks electrical cabling I can see why they installed a 325 amp alternator!

All of my factory cabling was installed by a moron! When they installed the electrical ends they shaved off allot of the cabling's jacket, leaving bare copper cable exposed to the elements, in one case nearly a foot of cable was exposed. All of my copper was green from end to end, and it was disintegrating when you ran your fingernail across it... This was on both my grounds and power, I was honestly surprised the truck would run, or did not short out and burn to the ground.

I wound up replacing 80 feet of various cabling and all of my electrical problems went away, which I was having allot of. I later installed four new AGM batteries and have never had another electrical issue on this truck. She runs at a solid 14 volts going down the road with no issues. I run the standard appliances, 1800 watt inverter, microwave, built in fridge, laptop, etc., on board along with a 3400 watt stereo 3 amp system with a small isolated AGM battery in the sleeper closet... I also have a TriPac with the smaller alternator with no issues that has also ran for days on end.

Why would we need so much juice for a line haul application?
replyreply

Messages In This Thread
RE: CM871 things to check after purchase? - Waterloo - 03-29-2016

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.