Drivetrain noise
05-05-2018, (Subject: Drivetrain noise ) 
RE: Drivetrain noise
Weird noises, Rattles, vibrations can be so annoying. Older the truck the more it could be a combination of many things.

Start with the easiest first then work your way up. I chased a vibration and noise for 2 years. It seemed like it was a bunch of collective group of problems. I Greased and shaked the Driveline often, tapped EVERYTHING with a small ballpeen hammer. If something is loose you will hear it, I found a VERY loose steer axle u bolt and a drive axle torque arm loose.

Measure and check ride height and recheck it and move it to different heights to see if a change occurs. Mine runs smoother slightly lower (1/2") than specs. Adjust your clutch. Wheel balance. If it takes alot of weights on steer axle replace the wheels. Check your rubber hood rests and guides, one of mine was missing.

LISTEN TO YOU TRUCK JUST IDYLING...do you here funny rattles or noises at idyl? They can be worse at 65 going down the road. A very loose exhaust stack will feel like a bad tire or shimmy. If applicable Check your PTO mounts, bracing, hydraulic hoses etc. check fuel tank mounts too!

I grease my driveline once a week ... and tap everthing with the small hammer.

If you have one on your truck check the Vibration Damper spring between the rear of the tranny and running up to the upper cross member, it should have tension on the spring. Carrier bearing was replaced, ensure carrier bearing is perpenducular and not "canted", driveline removed inspected and the balance checked, I even did a inter axle "jackshaft" replacement", I reversed my driveline around so male points rearward "driving into the female", new shocks, new torque rods & tortion rod bushings, then did a complete wheel alignment and balance. Wheel bearings inspected and retorqued, Engine mounts checked. Driveline angles checked. Then new steer axle King Pins.

Everthing I did made a gradual improvement.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze

Messages In This Thread
Drivetrain noise - aaronb - 05-04-2018,
RE: Drivetrain noise - hhow55 - 05-04-2018,
RE: Drivetrain noise - aaronb - 05-04-2018,
RE: Drivetrain noise - TruckerMatt - 05-05-2018
RE: Drivetrain noise - alborz - 05-05-2018,
RE: Drivetrain noise - aaronb - 05-05-2018,
RE: Drivetrain noise - akwman - 12-22-2018,
RE: Drivetrain noise - alborz - 01-15-2019,

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.