I had a new Turbo installed... And made a discovery
04-30-2016, (Subject: I had a new Turbo installed... And made a discovery ) 
RE: I had a new Turbo installed... And made a discovery
(04-30-2016 )Waterloo Wrote:  The truck is finally finished with the in frame, I'll pick it up Monday. But, I had them put a new Turbo and actuator on her, as I knew nothing of its history or age and knew that it was not the factory original.

Well, it came off fine, except when they went to put the new one on, the plumbing from the old Turbo was to small going to the exhaust. This was the smaller Turbo according to the shop, and they could not identify it. There were no identifying marks on the old Turbo, other than the Holset stamping. Why would someone install a smaller VV Turbo on my 600hp motor? Is there any benefit to it? Or were they just lazy and or in a hurry and installed the smaller Turbo because the proper one was not available? Anyone ever see or do this? This truck, when I purchased it, had the mandate on it, no one had tampered with it.

Now my next question, I have the large Turbo 485hp milk money 2 on my motor, will this new and correct Turbo affect anything? I'm thinking it will not, as the truck is already programed for the large Turbo, but I still have to ask.

Or, were there two sizes of the large Turbo in regards to plumbing? And would this explain the smoke I was having between shifts with the truck prior to the in frame?

Smaller turbo = more fuel efficient.

Bigger turbo might have to be reprogrammed. Whatever you do,... Do NOT let that engine make more than 40 lbs of boost!. A 485 tune should optimally be about 36 - 38 lbs boost under full torque load max.

Keep that in mind when testing the truck, and if it is making too much boost under full torque,.. have it re-programmed. .. And oh,...

BTW: Hopefully you will never see black oil in that engine ever again. Run it about 30k miles on regular engine oil, then start putting half a gallon of gear lube in it at every oil change until you get it to 300k. After 300k, use one full gallon of 80/90 or 75/90 at every oil change interval and keep on truckin' towards that next million mile mark on it again.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply

Messages In This Thread
RE: I had a new Turbo installed... And made a discovery - Rawze - 04-30-2016

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.