I had a new Turbo installed... And made a discovery
05-03-2016, (Subject: I had a new Turbo installed... And made a discovery ) 
RE: I had a new Turbo installed... And made a discovery
(05-03-2016 )ynot Wrote:  I don't think it would of mattered too much, especially with the "fix" and getting it dialed in to work good, on a stock motor I can see it making a difference cause the Cal's would be set differently. I understand the principle of having the right air flow an CAC requirments, but I've spent alot of time on truck paper recently looking at motors trying to identify some CAC piping for the monster turbo I had built and from what I seen the oem's use a one size fits all approach to that stuff the pipping layout and CAC sizes. Cause the 450's and 600's I was looking at all had the same layouts just bigger or smaller turbo. And the same can be said about CACs when you order one of those it's a one size fits all for that truck from my experience.

But I do agree with you on fighting to getting the right turbo put back on your playing big bucks to have it done right, so there's no need for them to be half assin an screwing around with ya this far into your rebuild.

I don't know if it would have been that easy a thing to deal with... I called Cummins and asked for their Turbo Guru Brian, who knows me... He compared both models, the 551 and the 561. He stated they were two different turbos, and that I would have issues with "clocking" it in and the programing. He also stated that it would not give me the efficiency of the 551 that the motor calls for. His recommendation, get it off the motor and install the correct one. My parts man knows Brian too, and a quick phone call settled the matter.

I really don't have the time to play with this stuff, I just need the truck back. Thank God the mechanic caught it as did the service writer. To bad I had to go to the length I did to get the parts man to see the light. It was an honest mistake on his part, but still very annoying as I should have the truck sitting in my driveway prepping it to go back to work.
replyreply

Messages In This Thread
RE: I had a new Turbo installed... And made a discovery - Waterloo - 05-03-2016

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.