Any Metalurgists out there?...
08-20-2018, (Subject: Any Metalurgists out there?... ) 
RE: Any Metalurgists out there?...
(08-19-2018 )imalumberjack Wrote:  
(08-19-2018 )Rawze Wrote:  
(08-19-2018 )imalumberjack Wrote:  I have been offered a free lowboy ..... A shop caught on fire last winter and we are demo-ing it. Lowboy was sitting inside along with several other vehicles, pretty much a total loss. Lowboy is 55 ton 16 tire expando. Maybe it would survive as a 25 ton? Looking at it: there were aluminum wheels on rear (outers) they melted so it got to 1200 degrees, the electrical wiring is still intact I guess copper melts at 1800 degrees? I think it would cost 12 to 15 thousand in parts to make it roadable? Any thoughts?

If you put it on the roads, A weld or something on it breaks at some point and kills a family of 6 in an S.U.V. behind you,... the DOT/NTSB will throw you in jail for a very long time for knowing it was not safe. -- Cut it up with a torch and sell it as scrap. Don't chance it. Trucking has a higher standard than other businesses when it comes to safety of the motoring public.
Rawze, that was my thoughts exactly. I did contemplate it for a few hours while I looked it over but it would be hard to move it down the road unless it was empty and then its ..... worthless.

Good choice. -- On a farm or something is one thing. On the highways with heavy equipment is another all together. The only exception you could make on something like this would be to send it back to the manufacturer and have them re-build it and include a written re-approval on it for highway use, putting the liability fully on them.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Any Metalurgists out there?... - Rawze - 08-20-2018

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.