New Cummins owner, intro and inquiry
07-07-2016, (Subject: New Cummins owner, intro and inquiry ) 
RE: New Cummins owner, intro and inquiry
(07-06-2016 )Waterloo Wrote:  First thing, do the overhead. And I would also think seriously of replacing the damper, unless you know it has been replaced recently. Cummins recommends every 500,000 miles as they do wear out. The viscous fluid in them hardens over time and renders them useless. If not replaced, they can actually blow apart. There were photos here somewhere of one that had done just that. Unfortunately, there is no way to physically inspect them. The only reason I caught mine is due to the fact it started taking out my components and pulleys. I would replace it if you have no history on it, as it is cheaper than alternators, AC compressors, pulleys, belts and the big one, the tow bill.
By the sounds of it if your replacing the rears to work properly for your job, you will have no trouble popping the valve cover and doing a quick overhead valve & injector set your self. If you haven't yet, sign up for a Quickserve.cummins.com account and enter your engine S/N. The service manual is available online in that format and it will tell you step by step how to do anything, including your own inframe! You can also look up your own part numbers to order parts easily and check parts for the most recent change up part or part number. Invaluable tool.
Very good suggestion Waterloo. I just did my damper at the same km's as the OP and wow did it make a difference. I seriously wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't done it.
FYI OP, I just bought a Vibratech from Artic Truck Parts in Edm for CDN$718.00.
DO NOT talk to them about your motor, they are a Big Name Delete dealership for the one right off I-15 just before you get into NV, but they stock good dampers.
Unilevers is one province east of you, just north of Red Deer. He's a straight shooter.
If you're mechanically inclined and like to do your own work like I do, you can't go wrong getting an Inline & a laptop with Insite.
If you ever happen to be around W Edm and need help, drop me a line as that's whe I'm located and I'll help with anything I can if I'm around...
BTW, I've had my truck since new, and have learned more about this motor in the last six months to year since finding Rawze's videos on YouTube and then this site. You are in the right place man!

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply

Messages In This Thread
RE: New Cummins owner, intro and inquiry - Hammerhead - 07-07-2016

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.