How much Idle time is too much?
11-10-2019, (Subject: How much Idle time is too much? ) 
RE: How much Idle time is too much?
(11-10-2019 )Rawze Wrote:  9,000 hours run time is roughly equiv to about 430,000-440,000 miles on a highway truck.

If you think for one moment that your going to buy a used truck,.. and it be even remotely ready for freight, you are squarely living in laa,laa land...

The typical stuff one can expect to do up front BEFORE PUTTING IT ON THE ROADS!!! when buying a truck of that mileage range...

- The fuel pump will need a re-build / all new guts ASAP.

- The cans will need to be pulled off and baked, DE-ashed, and flow tested. Plus an inspection of the SCR element and de-comp tubing.

- A very thorough EGR tune-up + cleaning out all piping, egr valve, etc. replace of all related sensors, replace Doser injector, replace exhaust gas pressure sensor and ensure piping/supply circuit is clean.

- Cleaning out of the DPF crossover tubing for the DPF Delta-P sensor, and replacement of the sensor itself.

- Replacement of DEF screen filter, inspection and very high likeliness of replacing all 3 of the the NOx sensors, as they are only good for about 200-300k miles at a time.

- re-torque of all wheel bearings.

- Inspection of overhead cam, and re-adjustment of the valves.

- Rail pressure leak-down tests and replacement of anything that makes it fail.

- pressurize whole engine and check it for air and egr leaks.

- 3 or so oil changes in very short intervals (3,000 miles or so) to de-soot the internals of engine, so that maybe,.. just maybe you can get another 300k miles out of it before the thing has so much carbon packing that it eats up the rings and.or the overhead cam.

- Shocks, drive-line inspections, replacing oil in all gear boxes, king pin and bushing inspections using an actual dial indicator and not guessing it like a fool, replacement of cab air bags, and shocks, inspection of rear air bags, belt replacements and pulley inspections, ...,...,...

The list only grows form there. Here is some related info ...
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...18#pid6718

-- Owning a modern truck is NOTHING like driving one for a comapny ... I hope you got a lot of wrenches, and have invested in diag.software to go along with that truck pourchase .. otherwise, your pissing up wind and your fate of typical O/O struggle mode or failure is sealed.

I live in Jamaica. Do you think its a good idea to take it to mr. haggai for the demandate or should I fix all the mandate stuff? I can still get all the emissions part easy so that shouldn't factor into the answer. Is 70k a good deal for the truck? 2015 International Lonestar not o/o specs but not werner fleet spec either.
replyreply

Messages In This Thread
RE: How much Idle time is too much? - waitWhat - 11-10-2019

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.