Cm2250 overhead set
12-16-2019, (Subject: Cm2250 overhead set ) 
RE: Cm2250 overhead set
(12-12-2019 )jimeneztrans84 Wrote:  Here's a link. If I buy that 1/4 inch torque wrench and put an adapter from 1/4 to 3/8 for crows foot am I ok? Do I lose any torque going that route or buy a 1/4 crows foot I believe 13mm for Jake brake?

https://youtu.be/_tWI5pipZoA

It's an old wives tale that extensions and adapters affect final torque, BS.
A crows foot or torque adapter adds a slight amount of leverage, thus increasing the torque applied slightly. Nothing we're doing on these motors needs to be that precise that we need to compensate for the extra 1-2 in/lbs of increased torque from these adapters.
Think of it like this, a crows foot adapter is approx 1 to 1.5" longer center to center. Let's use 1.5 for extreme. The torque wrench will be approx 18" from center to center handle. 1.5/18=0.083 or 8.3%. Now add 8.3% to 177 in/lbs and you're at 191.75 in/lbs on a hardened steel jam nut threaded into a hardened steel adjuster screw...and that's an exaggeration of measurements. Mine is less than an inch, and my 1/4" drive torque wrench is less than a foot, so I mean exaggerated!
I know someone who got hamfisted and twisted the 1/4" square drive off the torque wrench because he was expecting a big "click" out of a tiny wrench. Yeah you read that right, the torque wrench failed, not the jam nut or the adjuster screw! The measurement is as much for consistency between the adjuster said with enough tension to ensure something not coming loose, and less the metalurgy of the components.

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: tree98 , JMBT , Rawze , quickrigs

Messages In This Thread
RE: Cm2250 overhead set - JMBT - 12-12-2019,
RE: Cm2250 overhead set - Hammerhead - 12-16-2019

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.