New steer axle??? Overweight on steers empty.
05-21-2021, (Subject: New steer axle??? Overweight on steers empty. ) 
RE: New steer axle??? Overweight on steers empty.
(05-20-2021 )DT_Duh_Trucker Wrote:  I'm heavy on my steers!!!! With empty trailer and tanks at 3/4 I was at 12,380lbs. My axle rating is 12,350. Now I know I get an allowance of 400 hundred or so depending on the state for my apu, but is there anything else I can do to help move the weight back? Should I Slide tanks back a little in the straps? they are not under the doors like some prostars they're under the sleeper pretty much. Replace the axle for a higher rated one (this is the option i see being best for peace of mind at weigh stations)‽ My truck is 274 wheelbase. I have my 5th wheel back a few notches before the rear or one or two notches from being centered between the drives, but being a longer truck it makes it tougher to maneuver through places like DC, NY etc when I do go so i want to try to avoid going back any further IF possible. Any suggestions or help is appreciated. Also, I pull flatbed so yes I have a headache rack and chains/binders in there. Going home next week and if there is something I can do or have done I'd like to try to do it while I'm home for a week. Thanks for your help. Picture of truck is attached.....if I did it right lol.

My 2008 Prostar is like 12850 on the steers bobtail. I believe all the Prostars are heavy on the steers. My truck is 296 inches center of drives. Are you measuring center of drives because Waterloo's is 274 if I remember correctly and it is longer than that. But I unbolted the fifth wheel and slide the whole thing back about 6 inches. You would have to remove those bolsters. My drives are always light so I tend to load heavy up front plus I do up to 8'6" of front over hang on long stuff. I pull a 53' flat and depending on how I load I can lighten the steers a little. But I keep it back all the way all the time. I replaced my front springs with custom ones from a spring place in Pa. When I did it I found out that it came factory with springs that were 5250 per side. That's not a 12000 rating. But the Prostars turn really good, I'm 80 ft long and if you saw places it has been you would not believe it. But I never have any scales say anything about the steers. Here's my ProStar, I also run 16 ply steers

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

replyreply

Messages In This Thread
RE: New steer axle??? Overweight on steers empty. - Ricky - 05-21-2021

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.