New steer axle??? Overweight on steers empty.
06-11-2021, (Subject: New steer axle??? Overweight on steers empty. ) 
RE: New steer axle??? Overweight on steers empty.
(05-21-2021 )Waterloo Wrote:  
(05-21-2021 )DT_Duh_Trucker Wrote:  
(05-21-2021 )Rawze Wrote:  my prostar is the same way. I got all my chains hung on a chain rack on opposite side of apu and reduced as much weight in the cab as I could. - I have that heavy Hendrickson front end, and mine is 12,300 bobtail with full tanks.

BTW: In that photo ... your fifth wheel looks like it right where it is supposed to be so that it does not add weight to the front end.

I know that I cannot load more than about 45,300 or so with most box trailers or I will be over 80k with mine. Some shippers complain about that, but i tell them to go screw themselves if they do.

Your def tank, and the batteries are in front of fuel tanks... where mine are behind them at back of cab. My APU is further back, right in front of the axle mud-guard as well. Those things are is likely putting yours heavier than mine. you also have that headache rack adding some weight.

Would you say my best bet is to upgrade my steer axle just to be safe in case I come across the wrong officer having a bad day? If so, roughly how much am I looking at to have a shop do that?

I priced out upgrading the front end, it was pretty cheap to go to a 14,000 lb axle, around $1200, that was a few years ago... Me, not worried, this truck handles the worst roads Michigan has to offer... And the front end has yet to collapse on me. Just throw some 16 ply steers on there and you will be good. Not worth the worry in my book. And I have hauled some heavy stuff, way over gross, no issues.

my lonestar is the same I have a 12350 steer running 16 ply tires and tend to be 12800 on my steers with full tanks of fuel I have a magnum trailer moose guard and 140 gallon fuel tanks 650K miles so far without any problems i have had Tennessee check the tire rating one time they weren't worried about the axle its self
replyreply

Messages In This Thread
RE: New steer axle??? Overweight on steers empty. - Yauchout - 06-11-2021

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.