Oil sample not looking good.
07-27-2023, (Subject: Oil sample not looking good. ) 
RE: Oil sample not looking good.
(07-26-2023 )FLdriver Wrote:  2016 CM2350
563,880 miles at time of this post

Finally have a baseline and a second sample. First one was initial drain right after purchase from Ryders lease fleet (not rental). Second sample pulled 7/3 but they just tested it yesterday 7/25.

Air filter was changed at first sample so time to look for leaks, truck works in dusty conditions a lot. Also going to look into doing the bearings. Slowly having to learn how to care for this red motor as I can't find a competent mechanic around me. I know its needs a overhead done but again mechanic issues so another this to tackle myself sooner then later.

DID you go 36,316 miles between oil changes there?... that is what the second oil sample is saying for mileage. --- If so ... THAT IS INSANE!!!... THAT IS ENGINE NEGLECT AND STRAIGHT UP ENGINE ABUSE!!!!

- WHAT IS YOUR FUEL MILEAGE?... your oil change interval should be based on average fuel mileage.. and not some arbitrary fixed damn interval.

Also the numbers show about 64,000 - 67,000 miles worth of wear!. That oil is not doing its job at all. That or the top end is full of rust and crud from lot rott!... Something is wrong there indeed!.

The ZDDP is too low for a cummins engine (any low-pressure engine for that matter) .. so that Delvac needs to go. Switch to Shell-rotella or Delo ... something with some actual damn ZDDP in it!.

Silicone is high too.... and could be the intake compromised like you said, or the air cleaner not doing its proper job .. .. but can also be coolant seepage (depending on the type of coolant used). - Make sure that thing is not consuming any coolant. Pressurize the entire coolant system to 20-psi and let it sit over night. Check the egr cooler for wetness inside the exhaust portion, and if you drop the pan, check for seepage from a piston or liner, etc.

What kind of coolant are you using?.. and when is the last time it was properly flushed out?... the damn engine had half a million miles on it when you purchased it.. and that should have been one of the first things that was done, was flush out the damn coolant system of any half-million mile-old coolant ... right along with a whole lot more reversal of neglected if missed and ignored scheduled maintenance.

I can only assume that you made that all too typical mistake that people make .. JUST BUYING IT AND THEN DRIVING IT BLINDLY WITHOUT DOING ANY IF ITS SCHEDULED 500K MAINTENANCE TO IT before putting it on the roads to haul freight. .. People all too often ASSUME LIKE A FOOL THAT ITS HALF-MILLION MILE OLD ARSSE IS MAGICALLY READY FOR THE ROADS!. MUST HAVE BEEN ALL FIXED UP BY THE TRUCK FAIRY-GODS! or something. That is one of the most common and biggest mistakes people make that buy into used trucks!. Then everyone wonders why they have nothing but problems they seem to endlessly chase!.

EVERYTHING on this maintenance schedule should have been done to it before putting it into service without skipping any of it .. from the beginning to the 500k mile portion if it. This one is for a prostar, but most trucks are the same...
ref: http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...0#pid26680

(also just mentioning this)...
And if the engine is deleted, then the program also needs to be reviewed right away too, as most delete programs are absolutely horrible, causing progressive damage over time.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Toolguy

Messages In This Thread
RE: Oil sample not looking good. - Rawze - 07-27-2023

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.