Cummins reman cm871 worth it?
09-13-2023, (Subject: Cummins reman cm871 worth it? ) 
RE: Cummins reman cm871 worth it?
My advise from previous experience is to obtain a new block and rebuild it with OEM parts.
Around 6 years ago I got caught with a Cummins reman long motor. Biggest boat anchor I've ever owned, head was off that thing it seemed every 2000 hrs. The block was beyond rebuild in my opinion when Cummins put the engine together. No one can afford $20k every 12 - 18 months on an engine repair. We ended up selling the truck.
On the subject of OEM parts - I have a 12.7 Detroit requiring a rebuild, hosing coolant out of No- 5. Priced parts genuine, went to another source of genuine and aftermarket parts.
The non genuine bits could save me close to $10k. But it's not going to happen. I will spend the extra up front because my experience is you soon forget about the extra monentary pain up front if it continues to do the job well and doesn't let you down. Every time that engine lets you down and costs more you will be reminded of the $10k initial saving that has cost you 5+ times that amount in fairly short order.
Just my thoughts of course, but I've been swinging spanners for 30 years and everytime you short cut and/or try to save some coin it will bite you.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , trucklogger2

Messages In This Thread
RE: Cummins reman cm871 worth it? - Aussie Steve - 09-13-2023

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.