ISX "whistling" and shut down
04-23-2024, (Subject: ISX "whistling" and shut down ) 
RE: ISX "whistling" and shut down
First thing to address is that fuel pump. Good condition or bad, it's a ticking time bomb that usually fails at some point after 400,000 miles. Even the newer, updated versions are subject to failure. The problem lies in the pump head, so it's typically recommended to replace the internals of the pump head every 400,000 miles or so to prevent failure (which often leads to metal debris being sent through the engine). It's been a while since I read up on this, but I think there was a procedure to turn a 3 cylinder pump into a 2 cylinder without replacing the entire pump... but I could be wrong. All the info for that should be available on Quickserve in a TSB.

Diagnostics for the entire fuel system can be found on quickserve as well, including step by step instructions.

There's also return fuel lines from the common rail and injectors to the low pressure / filter housing and, if I remember correctly, there's a return line going to the tank(s) from there as well. I would check all those lines along with all the connection to and from the common rail.

Do you have Insite? are you able to monitor fuel pressure commanded actual? Run a fuel pressure leak down test?

Logically the low pressure side is where you'd think to look given the sediment, but it's possible the trip into the ditch resulted in damage elsewhere that you weren't aware of.

User's Signature: "...And as we wind on down the road, Our Shadows taller than our Soul..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: CoroView Shop

Messages In This Thread
RE: ISX "whistling" and shut down - JimT - 04-23-2024

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.