Gear oil for trans and rearends
12-11-2016, (Subject: Gear oil for trans and rearends ) 
RE: Gear oil for trans and rearends
(12-10-2016 )Brock Wrote:  Odd. I was told by Eaton that under no circumstances could you use a 75/90 gear lube or anything of that nature. They say there are galleries that are not wide enough to support the thicker oil and you will run components dry causing premature wear.

I wanted to know because I was considering doing it.

For an Autoshift? - I have no idea if that is true or not but not likely, for a regular 10, 13, 0r 18? - I own a 10-speed eaton ...

COMPLETE AND UTTER HORSE-shi#t!

Take a few truck Trannies apart and find me those passages, then make that same statement.

Another complete horse-shi#t statement I hear over and over is "you can't run down roads with them in neutral" --- MORE COMPLETE AND UTTER HORSE-shi#t!

There is one thing you CANNOT AND SHOULD NOT do with them, and WILL cause harm to the synchronizer though while in neutral. Fliping the High/Low Low/High while in neural, even at speeds as low as 30 mph is bad for them. it makes it spin up out of control,.. and I have seen a lot of drivers that I do test drives with do this as a bad habit. You can hear its subtle high-speed whine when they do this.

=====

I spent some time with someone who has re-built them for many many years early this past year that literally knows every knook and cranny and weakness in them. He has seen every abuse that has been thrown at them. I took a hard look as he explained with my own skeptical eye too. I know a lot about gearboxes myself in general. We discussed exactly those things, and looked at in high detail. This is because my own truck has more than a million on it and NOT A SINGLE DRIVE TRAIN COMPONENT, NOT EVEN THE CLUTCH has any high amounts of wear in them yet. --- My tranny and drive train has only been in top gear 14% of that million miles according to my long term data on my qualcom, and it has to be pretty close to that. -- That thing is in neutral unless it slows down below 55, and it gets shifted in and out of gear about 300 times a day because neutral is our preferred gear at all times.

Every vehicle I have ever owned, I have driven this way. You get 2x more engine live, 2x more drive train life, etc. and that is also why I also hate automatics.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Toolguy

Messages In This Thread
RE: Gear oil for trans and rearends - Rawze - 12-11-2016
RE: Gear oil for trans and rearends - Unilevers - 02-05-2017,

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.