Gear oil for trans and rearends
02-05-2017, (Subject: Gear oil for trans and rearends ) 
RE: Gear oil for trans and rearends
(02-05-2017 )Magard Wrote:  What's your brake wear like taking it out of gear. I could see driving 57 in a 70 speed limit you probably just let it roll and let wind hold you back. Driving 57 in a 55 looking over your shoulder all the time, I would just be on the brakes a lot I would think. How does that work out in the slower speed limit areas?

Its called working the terrain, conditions, and limits, maintaining safety above all. We do not speed. - If the speed limit is 55, then we will average a bit lower speed so that as it speeds up and slows down on its own, it peaks at around the speed limit.

I have only replaced my brake pads once in a million miles. Have not replaced the drums yet, they still look fine. It is called keeping a good distance so that you don't have to ride your brakes and if the truck starts getting above the speed limit on its own too much, it simply goes back in gear, engine brakes as necessary, etc.

We don't play "Yeehaa" with the truck. it is simply a different way of driving it that apparently, the new Volvo I-shift now mimmicks to some degree. The difference is that we aren't looking to maintain a certain speed but only the average of "in gear having to press the fuel pedal" minimum, and a safe maximum based on the speed limits and terrain when rolling.

I would certainly think that any vehicle that is constantly trying to maintain a certian speed, (cruise or otherwise) against the varying conditions and resistances it encounters as it travels would consume quite a bit more, and bleed off a bit more resources, than to simply let it follow along within a set average on its own.

I am not trying to convince or even encourage anyone else to drive like we do, it is simply how we do things that work for us the best. mostly because I have always had vehicles with stick-shift, have always driven that way, and I hate automatic transmissions and the extra wear on an engine they cause in general. - My posts on the topic are to mostly just show that driving this way did not cause any more harm to my truck or its components than any other way of driving, in case other people do drive this way and have some concerns about it.

Anyone is welcome to pick it apart or protest againt how we drive, but it is not going to change 30+ years of driving habbits. We are one of the safest trucks on the roads, do not follow others very closely at all (it wastes fuel and resources), do not speed, etc. This dictates we are always going a little bit slower than the rest of traffic to some extent.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: 386lover , Brock , Toolguy

Messages In This Thread
RE: Gear oil for trans and rearends - Rawze - 02-05-2017
RE: Gear oil for trans and rearends - Unilevers - 02-05-2017,

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.