Counter-bore tools and parts...
01-19-2017, (Subject: Counter-bore tools and parts... ) 
RE: Counter-bore tools and parts...
(01-18-2017 )Rig Wrench Wrote:  Does anyone know how to compensate for an extension on a torque wrench? Like if the head gets torqued to 300 ft lbs, but then you put a 10" extension it to get enough depth with the socket, does it change the accuracy? Maybe its been discussed before. Just checkin

I have had this argument with 100 other mechanics in the past, and have proven them wrong every single time and time again...

Last I checked, extension bars were NOT made of rubber. The ONLY WAY for the torque to change by any amount that would mean the difference on a very tight bolt using a socket extension, would only be because the wrench was no longer 90 degrees from the socket... I.E. -- a swivel head or swivel extension, combined with someone not rotating the torque wrench properly, or at an angle.

Want to prove someone else wrong? --- use a torque wrench to torque a bolt 3 or 4 times, marking its final position --- grab a crappy 1-foot extension,,. loosen the bolt and re-torque it 3 or 4 times again. it will end up in the same place unless you aren't holding your wrench properly.

NOW,... when you consider say, 3 or 4 feet,.. and there is spring force build up in the long extension(s) bar .... Same thing applies, but you will have to rotate the ratchet a bit more to get to that same torque. This is because of the added "twist" in all the components as you apply force. - Even so, you still end up with the same torque on the bolt when the wrench clicks, even though you rotated it further to get there.

Lastly, this is a moot point, argued all over the internet,..and is a complete waste of time to argue away -- You are not building a rocket motor, and an error of 5-10 degrees rotation on a bolt that would be so tight as to "twist" a heavy duty extension bar is completely irrelevent and meaningless in an engine.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Counter-bore tools and parts... - Unilevers - 01-09-2017,
RE: Counter-bore tools and parts... - Rawze - 01-19-2017

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.