White/Grey Smoke & Strong Fuel Smell
03-20-2017, (Subject: White/Grey Smoke & Strong Fuel Smell ) 
White/Grey Smoke & Strong Fuel Smell
So last week I was driving down the highway with a heavy load...
I usually keep my engine brake on while I'm in cruise control so that if I needed all I had to do was tap the service brakes and let the engine slow me down.

The last time I used the engine brake, when I went back to accelerate I started getting white smoke out of the exhaust.
After pretty much limping it home for a whole day that white smoke turned to a light grey smoke when I accelerated a little harder.
For the most part I do feel a slight misfire, but it idles good still.

Tomorrow I plan on doing a coolant leak test with my pressure tester... And I also had the dealer order me an injector leak test tool (little block of aluminum for $250) which I will also be picking up tomorrow.

The truck currently has 1,128,477 miles. About six months ago I blew two injectors somehow at the same time (according to the dealer I brought it to) and after they replaced cylinder 1-2 injectors it ran good though I could still feel a slight miss.

I have no history on the engine other than what I did to it which isn't much because the guy I bought it from didn't have anything because apparently he was an idiot.

I put just over 100k miles on it aready (I've only owned it for a year) and so far it's been a great truck.
This week I'm replacing pretty much the whole front suspension, outer tie rods, king pins and front tires since the old ones are wearing bad after only 55k.

So... What I'm getting at is that when the first two injectors went bad, the engine ran horribly and I lacked power but I wasn't really getting any smoke out of the exhaust even though when I tried turning off the truck it would try to keep running.

Now, the engine for the most part starts and runs like it should and shuts off immediately like it should... Yet I'm getting a lot of white'ish smoke out of the exhaust and I'm getting a strong unburnt fuel smell inside the cab.
So if it should happen that once I do the injector leak test and find nothing blowing bubbles, what would be the most likely cause?

I do know that the EGR cooler has been replaced because it has no paint on it and I'm not getting coolant in my oil or vise-versa as far as I know... Last time I checked was the night it first started blowing smoke, but will be going through everything thoroughly tomorrow after I get back home from the dealer with my parts.
replyreply

Messages In This Thread
White/Grey Smoke & Strong Fuel Smell - jasonlepak - 03-20-2017

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.