Company Guidance / Advice
04-16-2017, (Subject: Company Guidance / Advice ) 
RE: Company Guidance / Advice
(04-16-2017 )BiloxiDave Wrote:  
(04-16-2017 )Waterloo Wrote:  I used to flatbed, and can say it is quite a bit of work, especially if you have to throw tarps and chains. I'm 52, and just had my ass handed to me by my garage. Yes, my garage, I cleaned it out, made some shelving and benches and laid down rubber flooring. I think I would die going back to my flatbed. I don't know what shape you are in, but it can be pretty hard on a guy, especially if you are not used to real physical work, it is the cause of my bad back. Not saying you can't do it, I know guys in their 60's that are still running steel, just something to consider.

As far as flat bed companies, they all have their customers and runs. I have talked to mainly Maverick and TMC drivers, and both seemed happy with their companies. Maverick, from what I have "heard", has more terminals to get a guy home, if that is important to you. I believe the TMC drivers tend to stay out on the road for a couple of weeks or longer, again from what I have "heard". And then we have the loads... Lumber that needs to be tarped can wear a guy out fast, vs a coil of steel or plates. I would really ask what they are hauling, who their main customers are and what they are hauling vs pay and what is expected of you. There is a reason turnover is so high out here. When I started driving I was essentially homeless after a nasty divorce, and still young in my early twenties. Pay mattered, but I was more concerned with three squares and a roof. Trucking supplied that.

Not to change the subject, but have you considered a tanker position? Those are still physical but not as strenuous on us older guys as throwing tarps and dealing with heights. In the winter flatbedding can be a very hazardous occupation, especially when dealing with snow and ice. Tanker, you stay on the ground, pay can be pretty good and you get to see a pretty cool side of the business that many will never see depending on what you are hauling. It also tends to be much more professional, especially in regards to how we are treated by the shippers and consignees. Just a thought... Good luck to you, and do not hesitate to post again with more questions. ;-)

Thank you for the info. I have thought about tanker and most recently running in the oil patch. I have a couple reasons for wanting to go flatbed first. I'm still in good enough physical shape to deal with it right now and I would really like to have as many experiences that I can get. The second reason is from somewhat of a friend, he is a lease operator running under someone elses authority and even though it is flatbed, I would say that 75% is drop and hook along with very little tarping, most of that is already tarped, he only has to secure. He makes a ton of money but his problem is that he doesn't have a lick of business sense nor does he seem to care much about his truck so he is just throwing money out of the window. My main goal right now is to learn learn learn for a minimum of a year at the same job.

The oil patch, I did four years up in ND, it paid good, propane bottle...

Drop and hook with a flatbed? I don't know... I had all of my own equipment, straps, chains, etc., liked to keep my stuff in good working order and knew every piece of equipment on my truck. Going into a scene like a drop and hook flat bed operation would make me nervous, as I have seen quite a bit out here over the years, allot of it sloppy. But, that sounds like it is down the road...

I was going to say above, go dry van for your first year. It is much less stress and will give you time to get aquainted with all of the nonsense we put up with out here on a day to day basis. There is nothing worse than being rushed as you are still learning the business, routing, etc., as that is when mistakes happen. And mistakes out here can get yourself or others killed, or seriously injured. ;-) Just my .02 as I have seen many get into this racket and leave within a month or two due to the BS and low pay.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: BiloxiDave

Messages In This Thread
RE: Company Guidance / Advice - Waterloo - 04-16-2017

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.