Tri-Pac not starting after coolant hose blowout...
04-26-2017, (Subject: Tri-Pac not starting after coolant hose blowout... ) 
Tri-Pac not starting after coolant hose blowout...
The other day I was up at the local truck stop, got the yellow idiot triangle on the dash... Low Coolant... Hose blew on my Tri-Pac... Long story, goes back to the head gasket debacle and in frame... The hose was weak and blew... Got the truck home, and put it all back together, new coolant lines and Thermostat.

Started the unit, it would only run for a few minutes... Water pump was whistling... I thought the worse... BUT! When you drain the coolant out of these units, you can get air pockets in the Yanmar motor/block of the Tri-Pac. I had a heat temp gun on the thermostat housing, it would hit 130* c in no time, like two minutes. I installed a 71 c thermostat... The TK manual says that air pockets can form after doing major surgery on these things... I drained the coolant at the petcock valve in the Tri-Pac unit, with the help of Logan, my 12 yo neighbor with the fantastic hearing... Every time we turned that petcock valve to drain the coolant, air would escape. I could not hear it, but Logan could. It took about an hour, run, shut down, cool, restart, around 5 times, and BINGO! The damn thing worked! it held temp, water pump whistling went away and the fan turned on. Just a heads up when things get ugly. Don't give up! Keep draining that air/coolant and see what happens... This is a first for me, as I have had this thing apart a few times, and never ran into this issue.

Like I told Logan, the 12 yo neighbor kid, the TK dealer would have raped me for a few hundred bucks to do what we did... Remember that, read the manual.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: fargonaz , hhow55

Messages In This Thread
Tri-Pac not starting after coolant hose blowout... - Waterloo - 04-26-2017

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.