I need help with gear oil..
06-17-2017, (Subject: I need help with gear oil.. ) 
RE: I need help with gear oil..
Rawze says:

Depending on how old your engine is, and how much wear it has,.. is how "thick" of a gear lube you should likely be using. Here is some good rules to follow...

* If your engine is "new", less than 300k miles on it,... you should likely only use half a gallon of some decent 80/90 or 85/90 gear lube at each oil change.

* If your engine is "worn slightly", less than 300k - 500k,... you should likely use a full gallon of some decent 80/90 or 85/90 gear lube at each oil change.

* If your engine is heavily worn,.. 500k miles or more,.. then you should likely use a 3/4 to a full gallon (depending on how worn out) of some decent 85/140 gear lube at each oil change, but only put in a half gallon in in the winter, so that it does not making starting the engine more difficult when it is very cold.

* If your engine has 800k, or perhaps a million miles plus,... you should be using a a full gallon of some decent 85/140 gear lube at each oil change, no matter the weather conditions.

User's Signature: 2013 Volvo 670 with Big Red under the hood
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Toolguy

Messages In This Thread
RE: I need help with gear oil.. - Billdozer2 - 06-17-2017

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.