Cylinder head wear...
07-06-2017, (Subject: Cylinder head wear... ) 
RE: Cylinder head wear...
.015 it is.

I already cleaned all of the other rockers and verified they were flowing with brake cleaner. The Jake's will be getting new springs too before I reinstall the assemblies.

My main concern is putting this thing back together and it not making it that far, like dropping a valve. I have no indication that the head gasket leaks or the head is cracked. I'm just concerned that #1 stopped rolling perhaps because there was no more clearance due to sunken valve seats. It may be that, or metal flaked on the cam and wedged the between the lobe and the roller. That lobe did have streaks in it.

The last thing I want is to get a couple weeks out of it and drop a valve.

I already have some 85-140 GL to put in it, and have new Cummins cam bearings and the appropriate driver. It'll be my first time putting them in an isx to be honest, but certainly not my first time ever.

I did notice that the center injector cam bearings have no lube passage. I'm assuming they use the puddled oil between the rocker stands and rely on the bottom of the cam bearings to be submerged? Found it kind of odd Cummins didn't see fit to put a lube passage under the center injector cam bearings like there is for the valve cam.

Tomorrow I'll be setting the cam timing, shimming the oil pump with 8 dimes and swapping out o rings and valve stem seals. Trying to get this done before my wonderful weekend on ft Stewart.

I want to do the head around thanksgiving this year, as well as a piston and liner kit so I can call it done and know what is in my engine. I found a company in PA that's supposed to have a superior casting dohc head( jury isn't in on that yet), new for $3500. I just need to get myself out of this hole my company isn't helping me out of like I was assured they would.

Then I'd like to meet up with you to sort out this ECM, rawze.

User's Signature: 2010 T2000, CM871, 13spd, 977k, tanker yanker
Overhauled @ 927k
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Diesel_Pusher

Messages In This Thread
RE: Cylinder head wear... - dhirocz - 07-06-2017
RE: Cylinder head wear... - Unilevers - 09-12-2018,

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.