Cylinder head wear...
07-06-2017, (Subject: Cylinder head wear... ) 
RE: Cylinder head wear...
(07-06-2017 )dhirocz Wrote:  ...I'm just concerned that #1 stopped rolling perhaps because there was no more clearance due to sunken valve seats. It may be that, or metal flaked on the cam and wedged the between the lobe and the roller. That lobe did have streaks in it.

If you had that much cam bearing wear, consider this to help put your mind somewhat at ease; #1 intake is the highest point in the oil galley. Oil is pushed from the bottom up, therefore #1 intake is actually the lowest/last flow and pressure oil delivery. Breathe in, breathe out, don't overthink it. #6 is at the back of the engine and sees the least amount of cooling air flow and that's why it has the most heat issues, right? Think logically and methodically.

(07-06-2017 )dhirocz Wrote:  I already have some 85-140 GL to put in it, and have new Cummins cam bearings and the appropriate driver. It'll be my first time putting them in an isx to be honest, but certainly not my first time ever.

The gear oil will help with your high mileage engine, good. As far as bearings go, they're just bearings and you say you know what you're doing, so...

(07-06-2017 )dhirocz Wrote:  Tomorrow I'll be setting the cam timing, shimming the oil pump with 8 dimes and swapping out o rings and valve stem seals. Trying to get this done before my wonderful weekend on ft Stewart.

With a higher mileage engine, and since you're not doing rods & mains at this time, I suggest 9 dimes. Valve guide seals, good call since you're already in this far. Enjoy your wonderful weekend.

(07-06-2017 )dhirocz Wrote:  I want to do the head around thanksgiving this year, as well as a piston and liner kit so I can call it done and know what is in my engine. I found a company in PA that's supposed to have a superior casting dohc head( jury isn't in on that yet), new for $3500. I just need to get myself out of this hole my company isn't helping me out of like I was assured they would.

Then I'd like to meet up with you to sort out this ECM, rawze.

I don't know anything about this "superior casting" head. Is this their claim, or actual first hand knowledge from someone who has/is using one?
Good luck with your financial extrication. Asking questions, and picking up a wrench and getting dirty instead of bending over at a stealership is certainly several steps in the right direction.

As far as the lesson, my accountant always reminds me that "A kick in the ass always results in a step forward." So look at your companies kick in this way instead of a negative. They are helping arm you with knowledge and experience that can't be learned in a classroom!

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: dhirocz , fargonaz

Messages In This Thread
RE: Cylinder head wear... - Hammerhead - 07-06-2017
RE: Cylinder head wear... - Unilevers - 09-12-2018,

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.