Why I add 12% (one gallon) of gear lube at every oil change...
03-12-2018, (Subject: Why I add 12% (one gallon) of gear lube at every oil change... ) 
RE: Why I add 12% (one gallon) of gear lube at every oil change...
As encouraged on this forum I have done my own due diligence and done some more research on the subject.

1. I remember reading in the TDR magazine years back about the newer Diesel engine oil specifications being inferior to older ones because of the removal of the ZDDP/ZDTP anti-wear additives. This was done in 2007 to accommodate the addition of DPFs. Zinc in the additive shortens the life of the DPF.

2. Still somewhat curious about adding gear oil I sought just to find an additive to add to my oil. Just add the stuff I need not a type of oil that may not work perfectly in my engine. ( I have a DT466E with HEUI injection improper oil tends to foam and such)
Yes you can buy several different brands of Zinc additives including Pukas ( more $ on marketing than R and D I suspect). They are not cheap. You need to add a lot of the tiny bottles to our large engines to get enough.

3. I also found information that the zinc/phosphorus additives can harm aquatic life. This was another reason for their removal from gas and Diesel engine oil. Proper disposal is a must.

4. It has been mentioned that a GL-4 oil would possibly be a better choice than a GL-5as it will not harm brass or copper components in an engine. I have found info that newer GL-5s may not cause trouble. I would stick to tracking down a GL-4 IMHO to be on the safe side.

5. If one needs to have their mandate intact specifically the DPF I would be mindful of its operation. Zinc can harm it. Also do not use a 2-stroke engine oil (some have zinc in them) as a fuel additive with a DPF.

Please feel free to check up on what I have added.

I'm off to find a good source of GL-4 gear oil to add to my several pre 2007 Diesel engines...

User's Signature: The fastest way to learn is to make a mistake. If it costs me $ I learn pretty quickly. It's cheaper to learn from someone else's mistakes.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Chamberpains

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why I add 12% (one gallon) of gear lube at every oil change... - DLC - 03-12-2018

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.