2003 ISX suggestions needed
08-04-2017, (Subject: 2003 ISX suggestions needed ) 
RE: 2003 ISX suggestions needed
(08-04-2017 )DDlighttruck Wrote:  
(08-02-2017 )Hammerhead Wrote:  Nice to see someone new to being an O/O that has some self initiative instead of just a "I'll drop it off at the stealershit" attitude.
That mentality will take you far, and drastically increases your odds of success.
As a guy who changed injectors in a parking lot chasing ghosts, hearing someone else tackling things in a parking lot makes me smile...you sound like the kind of guy I would enjoy being parked next to for the weekend.
FYI, @snailexpress brought tools along to help me with the parking lot injector job, so you're in good company with quality people who pay it forward. There isn't much I wouldn't do for any member of this site.

Hey DD, have you read this http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=1982 yet?
If you haven't done so yet, get yourself a laptop and a Chinese Inline adapter, it will pay for itself almost instantly and is literally the equivalent of a 1/2" wrench when it comes to these motors in its common use. If I'd have known then what I know now, I'd have had one years ago...
I took a short look on ebay at the chinese inline 5 you had mentioned. I have a laptop and printer in the truck already. It is kind of the next in line purchase. Just need to narrow down a good one.
It's all about making the run. I drove from Toronto to Indiana with about 4 ribs left on the belt, praying it would make it. It did, delivered and then fixed the truck. There's some stuff I know I can't do yet, and some stuff that just isn't practical to do in a parking lot. I generally will try to do most of the repairs, but some stuff I don't have the time for either. I did one kingpin myself to get it through the safety, but the other side I had the shop do when I was up north for a week. Yes I can do it but then I sacrifice some down time. I bit the bullet and paid a guy $250 to bring me coolant a couple weeks back. Blew a hose, cut it shorter and re-attached it, but only had a gallon with me. Hence wanting to add a second saddlebox. $250 for 3 gallons of coolant and 3 gallons of water is cheaper than a tow but still.
I'm trying hard to find a balance right now. Recently it's been drive all week wrench all weekend. I don't see that changing for awhile.

Like Rawze said, Welcome to the world of trucking! I can relate to the $250 coolant, happened to me too, and yes, much cheaper than a tow bill.

That tensioner pulley, I lost a couple on my 871, than the alternator and was wearing out belts prematuraly... I thought this odd so I did some research into what would cause this and discovered the Crankshaft Damper needs to be replaced every 500,000 miles, as the viscous fluid in the damper hardens over time and loses its mojo. I replaced the Damper and issues went away, along with smoothing out the motor. The Damper comes raw, you will need to paint, and I would suggest marking your timing marks in a different color, or an identifier and use some sort of acrylic or other clear coating on the timing marks. Will make your life much easier when you do your overhead. ;-)

One tool I would recommend getting is a coolant pressure tester, I picked up a Stant https://amzn.to/2Wl7Aan

You will also need the attachment for your coolant bottle, on yours I do not know which one you will need, but that is easy enough to find out. I believe Hammerhead had a list on here of the Snap On adapters. Stant make them, so you can cross match. If you have the same coolant bottle that our ProStars use, this is the adapter https://amzn.to/2Y5j5Du

Double check to be sure on the adapter.

Just some food for thought.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: DDlighttruck , fargonaz , Hammerhead

Messages In This Thread
RE: 2003 ISX suggestions needed - Waterloo - 08-04-2017

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.