Pyro gauge. Inside or Outside? - My thoughts.
07-09-2018, (Subject: Pyro gauge. Inside or Outside? - My thoughts. ) 
RE: Pyro gauge. Inside or Outside? - My thoughts.
(07-09-2018 )magaroo Wrote:  What should the egt be with the probe clamped to the outside of the manifold?

It will vary depending on what you are using your truck for. Some generalizations here ...

Anything below 400-F it is ok to shut the truck off without worrying about carbonizing the bearing in the turbocharger. A pyro gauge on the outside of the manifold is great for monitoring when it is safe to shut the enigne off after pulling off somewhere.

Max you should see is about 900 - 950 or so when pulling hard up a hill on the outside of the manifold. As it approaches this, you should down-shift to a lower gear and use higher rpm/less torque instead to the get air moving faster and cool the engine and turbo. Most guys will do so at about 850 - 900-F.

Turning on the engine fan helps when pulling a hill if it is getting up high in temp. It will force-air cool the turbocharger and lower the manifold/turbo temps. This also helps to extend the life of the turbo.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Jorg81 , DSTdriver , LargeCar , Toolguy

Messages In This Thread
RE: Pyro gauge. Inside or Outside? - My thoughts. - Rawze - 07-09-2018

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.