Stemco wheel seals
10-05-2017, (Subject: Stemco wheel seals ) 
RE: Stemco wheel seals
(10-04-2017 )dhirocz Wrote:  Sounds about right.

I've already installed centrimatics. Tires are about 30k old.

Those wheel centering devices actually work? Doesn't the wheel center itself via the hub? I can see maybe a little fore and aft play before tightening down the lugs...I never thought much about them for this reason...care to share?

As far as end play goes, I have a magnetic base with a dial indicator I can use for measuring this. I figured I would set the end play more precisely after the new bearings had some seat time, but haven't decided how to approach this yet either. I'm still waiting to get home so work has not started yet.

Wheel bearing seating is done during hub installation. Follow ProTorq's installation instructions and they will be seated properly. As far as "break in wear" of tapered bearings, they don't require a "resetting".
With new bearings, I would set them at 0.003" total, push hub in and that's zero, pull out, and that's the reading I set at 0.003" on new bearings.
With used bearings, I set them following ProTorq's instructions, then from neutral I pull the hub and set at 0.002".
Doing it this way, I have found "new" bearings done the first way match the used bearings setting when inspected the following year.
A magnetic base stuck to the axle stub with the dial indicator needle on the gasket surface of the hub is exactly what I use.
This is always done hub only, no tires/rims.

Read Post # 16 of this thread for the elaboration of the Tru-Balance devices.
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=1531&page=2
A lot of guys have no use for the centering devices, to each their own.
From someone who owns and uses a lathe frequently, I understand how much properly centering anything that rotates will improve uniformity and reduce wear.

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , dhirocz

Messages In This Thread
Stemco wheel seals - dhirocz - 10-03-2017,
RE: Stemco wheel seals - Nilao - 10-03-2017,
RE: Stemco wheel seals - Rawze - 10-03-2017,
RE: Stemco wheel seals - JMBT - 10-04-2017,
RE: Stemco wheel seals - Hammerhead - 10-05-2017
RE: Stemco wheel seals - JMBT - 10-06-2017,
RE: Stemco wheel seals - Rawze - 10-07-2017,
RE: Stemco wheel seals - Rawze - 10-16-2020,
RE: Stemco wheel seals - bwake - 10-16-2020,
RE: Stemco wheel seals - Rawze - 10-17-2020,
RE: Stemco wheel seals - t700 - 10-17-2020,
RE: Stemco wheel seals - bwake - 10-17-2020,
RE: Stemco wheel seals - Rawze - 10-19-2020,
RE: Stemco wheel seals - Rawze - 10-20-2020,

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.