Wobble in the steering
11-04-2018, (Subject: Wobble in the steering ) 
RE: Wobble in the steering
(11-03-2018 )eggtrucks Wrote:  thanks for the advice. Im replacing the steering shaft from gearbox to firewall,and when i got old one off i noticed the stubby part coming out of the firewall has a lot of in/out play. not side to side, but it moves in/out at least 1/4''. Is this a normal or should that be tight?

I don't recall any in and out movement in the shaft, other than where they join in the middle, where the shaft enters the tube. There is a spline on both ends, one on the steer box and one on the steering wheel assembly. The steering shaft has yokes on both ends that slide on to those splines, and a bolt used to secure on both ends. That in and out at the firewall doesn't sound right to me.

If the spline up near the firewall or that assembly up there is moving in and out a 1/4 inch, the entire shaft would be moving, or at least that upper tube. It should not do that. Mine doesn't move like that, unless I am losing my mind, as I'm thinking that would be a DOT violation. I just reinstalled mine, but I only removed from the steering box, not at the firewall. That top tube, where it attached at the steering wheel assembly at the firewall did not have any play in it, side to side or in and out.

You really need to inspect that further, that play may be your issue.
replyreply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Wobble in the steering - Waterloo - 11-04-2018

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.