Just left the dealership....
10-07-2017, (Subject: Just left the dealership.... ) 
RE: Just left the dealership....
James, you are in good hands here. Everyone knows my story, and I approached this site with an open mind. The old days of trucking are long gone, unfortunately. When I did have multiple trucks, non-EGR other than one 870 that I got lucky with, I knew nothing of these emission systems.

I went a year of what you are going through with my ProStar, I bought used with 699,000 miles on her, check engine lights, derates, sitting in multiple dealer shops being sucked financially dry. When I was suckered into a new EGR Cooler when it was a simple hose clamp, that is when I put my foot down and asked myself, "Self, there has to be a better way". I took some time off, why not, I was going broke anyway, scoured the internet and discovered this site.

EGR tuneup first, that solved most all of my issues in regards to CEL's and derates. Then something happened, I wound up at my local Cummins shop, and they told me I had a cracked DPF and it would cost $7,300.00 to fix. I had just ordered the Inline Reader off of eBay, the one you have coming and figured it was time.

Truck went back to the house, I broke out my little Lowe's Kobalt tool kit and started the process. Rawze had, for educational purposes, posted the needed info to repair this issue on the old site with the how to instructions. With a little help from Unilever the issue was taken care of over a weekend in my driveway.

Looking back, I was nervous as hell, this truck was my only source of income. If I screwed up I chanced losing everything, including my house. Well, everything went fine, with much encouragement and good advice from the men here I was successful. The truck no longer had emission issues and ran incredibly well. Fuel mileage went through the roof too, another upside.

Then the fun began, due to the F'd up emission systems, I discovered the head was toast. The emissions masked that issue, as I was to busy chasing the EGR system gremlins to see what was really going on with the motor. I nursed her for a year, until it started blowing hoses and then it literally blew the radiator apart at a GM plant when I was delivering. Off to the shop...

Instead of just replacing the head I opted for a full blown in frame, there were only a few parts and pieces that were not replaced. My local International dealer did the work, they were hesitant at first due to the mandate removal for good reason. Get this, they told me one guy came in with one of these high dollar deletes and was having major issues. Turned out whoever did this hack job to this guys truck drilled a hole, or holes in his engine block. I don't know, so don't ask, just what many at the dealer told me. They had other stories too, real butcher shop work, parts and pieces removed, plates, etc. Trucks were barely running and had suffered sever damage from these other shops and their sloppy programing.

They looked at my motor, saw the EGT gauge, everything intact on the motor, cans still there, EGR Cooler still there, etc., they said let's do it. Gave me a full warranty too. Motor has been fine, knock on wood, and it is allowed in their shop, knowing the mandate has been removed. The only shop that will not work on my truck is the Cummins shop, big outfit, but they like the work Rawze has done, that I will say, they were very impressed.

James, you are in the right place. I am just sorry that you have to go through this, something that I would never wish on anyone. There are more than a few out there that were put out of business and worse due to this government mandate. Hopefully you found this site in time.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Brock , hhow55 , Jamescj212 , Hammerhead

Messages In This Thread
RE: Just left the dealership.... - Waterloo - 10-07-2017

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.