Need ideas on a 871
05-28-2018, (Subject: Need ideas on a 871 ) 
RE: Need ideas on a 871
3 months slips by way too fast. Bought the pile of junk and after tinkering with getting Insite set up and poking around with the Inline, the weather broke and I finally got a chance to tear into the majors. Dropped the driveshafts and when I drained the transmission, got 2-3 pints of coolant as a nice surprise. Ran the front driveshafts and transmission out to Cresson Ridge to go over. Unexpected expense, but at least I have a freshly rebuilt 13 speed and nearly new SPL driveline ready to go in.

Started teardown of the engine to see exactly where I'm at, and I'm really not much further than I was at first guess. #4 Rod bearing is welded to the crank, and the main in front of it is spun with the thrust bearings in pretty bad shape.

There's some "denting" on the cams, and one lobe (and roller) of injector cam has some light "Galling Surface Distress: Conditional Reuse". Opinion on if I should replace the a roller and run with it, or just replace both cams and all rollers? My goal is 600k trouble free miles out of the truck when I put it together, and aside from normal maint. don't want to be tearing anything back apart.

I'm still VERY tempted to just get a 12.7 Detroit and do the swap.

Anyhoo, I couldn't find a diagram on Quickserve - Are the 2 sensors to the rear of the doser fuel manifold block the oil pressure and oil temp?

I haven't pulled any actuators to inspect, but frankly, I think if I find one more thing this engine is going to need, I'm scrapping the idea of keeping the ISX.
replyreply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Need ideas on a 871 - Nostalgic - 05-28-2018

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.