Cm871 codes 2961 2764 4214
03-30-2016, (Subject: Cm871 codes 2961 2764 4214 ) 
RE: Cm871 codes 2961 2764 4214
It sounds like others are pointing you in the right direction. I say Get that amb temp sensor fixed asap too.

Here is something else to consider,.. and a different direction based on what i have seen. It has not been mentioned yet ...

2961 = Exhaust Gas Recirculation Temperature - Data Valid But Above Normal Operating Range - Least Severe Level

There are only a couple reasons you can get usually this code.

* the sensor is unplugged or malfunctioning.

* You have an after-market EGR cooler instead of one from the factory.

* You have a factory EGR cooler that is so sooted up, that it cannot dissipate heat any more (very rare but possible).

This one code will derate the hell out of the engine and make low boost, turbo cough, etc. !!!. The engine is trying to protect itself from excess cylinder pressures so that you don't blow a piston through the side of the engine block!. -- it thinks the intake temps are above 400 degrees into the engine, coming from the EGR because the egr cooler is not dissipating heat properly.

If this code is re-occurring it will certianly derate the crap out of the engine and cause it to run badly. THE ONLY TIME I HAVE EVER SEEN THIS CODE ON SOMEONE'S TRUCK and the sensor was NOT unplugged, -- IT WAS BECAUSE THEY HAVE AN AFTER-MARKET EGR COOLER !!. Those "tougher" after-market egr coolers do this notoriously, and I have seen some (not all) that were so bad, it would discolor and burn the paint on the venturi pipe, making it darker than the rest of the engine.

Make sure the sensor is good (they fail very rarely), but if you have had, or in its past have had the EGR cooler replaced! -- THAT IS YOUR MOST LIKELY CULPRIT -- I have seen it a hunderd times, and those after-market ones ARE A SHEER RIPP OFF THAT DO NOT WORK PROPERLY!

If it is not the sensor, and you have a factory cooler, then you should get it pulled off of there as soon as possible before a chunk of the carbon buildup that is making it not work properly comes loose and destroys the turbo with it. I have seen it at least a dozen times in the past, especially if someone buys a junkyard egr cooler and tries to install it. One guy i knew lost 4 turbochargers in a row before he realized what he had done.

Tags:
egr cooler, after-market cooler, after-market, after-market egr cooler, excess egr temp, high egr temp, excess intake temp

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Cm871 codes 2961 2764 4214 - Rawze - 03-30-2016

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.