Update on Columbia/Mercedes 4000 blown head gasket
03-28-2018, (Subject: Update on Columbia/Mercedes 4000 blown head gasket ) 
RE: Update on Columbia/Mercedes 4000 blown head gasket
Well, I bought this truck from Praxair, a big company, and I am sure that they would not make any unauthorized cowboy style modifications like "turning up the HP".

I am sure that this is a OEM bolt breaking due to poor design of this Mercedes engine. 345,000 miles.

If I was a great engine designer, I would make millions of dollars making better than anyone else's truck engines. Unfortunately, I am not, and I am stuck to doing what I am doing to make a living.

As such, I cannot evaluate ideas on what Mercedes could do better, other than perhaps test their products more.

As the guy instantly guessed what was wrong and his guess was correct, I assume that he is right about saying that those head bolts breaking are the weak point of this specific engine.

If any more heads suffer such damage, I will replace all remaining bolts on all heads.

PS you can see that this bolt broke a while ago and has a lot of soot all over the break area.
replyreply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Update on Columbia/Mercedes 4000 blown head gasket - ichudov - 03-28-2018

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.