Helping Waterloo out with an inframe ...
04-08-2018, (Subject: Helping Waterloo out with an inframe ... ) 
RE: Helping Waterloo out with an inframe ...
-- Ok, so we tore the engine down today and found out what was wrong with it...

Besides the parts for a smaller tier engine in it, we also discovered that the counter-bore he asked for never happened. It looks like 800+k miles of wear on the block at the mid-stops and that is the reason why he needed the inframe the first time. No machining was done at all. It appears that they simply took the engine apart and slapped in a new piston liner kit, head etc.

--- The problem now is that the liners were dancing because of all the step wear that never got fixed. Most of the liners were leaning to the passenger side by at least 0.002". Here is what we measured when compressing the liners ...

This caused the liners to eat into the new head pretty deep (several thousandths in places) ...

So,... he will need an overhaul kit, a new head, the counter-boring that got missed, and a set of 0.020" shims to get this right. the only problem now with this is that he will need to figure out what kit to get. If he gets the stealershit to replace the 2 incorrect cams and injectors with the correct ones, then he can get the right overhaul kit for it, but if he has to stay with the lower HP cams and injectors, then he will have to order the lower HP overhaul kit. What a mess.

Myself, I blame the actual failure completely on the fact that it was never counter-bored properly the first time it was apart. This engine had more than 800,000 miles on it at 600HP and a lot of step wear that you could simply SEE with your eyes, nonetheless have to measure. They KNEW it had problems with combustion gases getting into the coolant. You would have thought that someone would have at least LOOKED at all the obvious step wear that we saw in it as soon as the liners came out. - If this had been done properly, the truck would not be in my drive-way being torn down a second time right now. This missed step in the process has caused all of this downward spiral and nothing else. this engine was doomed from the day it left the shop regardless of the fact it has some incorrect parts in it. -- This is what a top dollar $40,000 inframe at a dealershit looks like first class!. - They can have that s$it!. This is exactly WHY I always fix my junk myself.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: DosGatos , Kid Rock , Hammerhead , dhirocz , Brock , BobsYourUncle , Waterloo , Pd6cas2 , hhow55 , Chamberpains , Volvo8873 , Roysbigtoys , schISM , Mrkentee , barf , scottydogtruck , serv , kalsandhu , fargonaz , iHaul , simon999 , bossboy2 , PuroCumminsPower , Pro Star Cummins , overshot , RojoPete , LargeCar , Toolguy

Messages In This Thread
RE: Helping Waterloo out with an inframe ... - Rawze - 04-08-2018
Caveat emptor - Waterloo - 04-09-2018,

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.