Input Shaft Seal Leaking on the Forward Rear Differential
07-09-2018, (Subject: Input Shaft Seal Leaking on the Forward Rear Differential ) 
Input Shaft Seal Leaking on the Forward Rear Differential
I have a 2016 KW T680 currently 337,000 miles and in January I had rear auxiliary transmission replaced under warranty. The KW Dealership led me to believe they flushed system and filled with new oil and inspected everything including differential.

I took it in for a few minor issues a few days ago and had a note to myself to ask them to see if there was a loose bolt by transmission because last time I was in there, their mechanic said he saw a little spray by the in frame and transmission.

I have had no leaks or puddles of oil.

Anyways, along with the minor things in unrelated areas of the truck I told them to look under there for any loose bolts or leaks and they called me to say my differential was gone and barely any oil in it. That I needed a new one and not sure warranty would cover it.

The oil they drained was shiny with no metal in it. There were some metal chunks when they pulled seal but they didn't even tell me they saw leaking before pulling seal.

I am trying to understand how this can happen when you have no symptoms of a problem and suddenly the thing has to be replaced. Does anyone know about this? It is a Dana differential.

I've had to be pushy with dealership to understand how they end up with a differential problem when I took my truck in for something else but say it has nothing to do with transmission work they did in January.

If my PM's have been on time since them it would seem I would have some sign that something was going wrong.

Just looking for some insight while I await news from Dana on whether warranty will cover this.

Thanks,

Desiree
replyreply

Messages In This Thread
Input Shaft Seal Leaking on the Forward Rear Differential - truckerdesiree - 07-09-2018

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.