Odometer question
08-04-2018, (Subject: Odometer question ) 
RE: Odometer question
(08-04-2018 )Chamberpains Wrote:  ...
The last big 1 is crooked salesman will offset the odometers to show lower mileage.

I have seen this happen. One of the most severe cases is a guy who I helped one time that said he was having nothing but problems with his truck. He then went on to brag that he found an older model truck that only had 89,000 miles on it at one of the big stealershits and the dealer said it was a fluke truck, gave a long story about how it sat and did not get driven, etc. -- It was out in California for around $70k. This guy who had never owned a truck before, had not even driven a truck but a few months, was proud he found such a gem and snatched it up.

I took one look at that truck and you could see that the truck although clean, engine and frame looked like it had been re-painted at close inspection, still looked like it had a whole lot of miles on it by looking at the tiny scratches and tons of wind and road wear in the front bumper, around the mirrors, top, etc. -- I went digging through the ecm and someone had changed the ODO correction on it. The ECM records the transactions every time you connect to it and make a change, when you did the change, and what you did. -- I asked him when he got the truck, and the change happened 2 weeks before the truck was sold to him.

An Internet search for DOT violations on the truck by vin# showed a recorded mileage of 700,000miles+ about 1.5 years before for a headlight being out + a few other citations earlier in its life. -- SAD this guy paid $70k for a truck that had what looked to me like nearly a million miles on it and it was clearly worn slap to the bone. It even had the blo-by of old engine when you took off the oil fill cap.

The guy only got mad at me in disbelief even though his exact vin# came up in the search, he had all the signs + high blo-by etc. He started talking sideways like I had leprosy or something.

About 2 months later he called and apologized saying he confronted the steal;ershit about it and they claimed the eCM was accidentally "swapped" from another truck prior to them getting it. -- It was a lie and I knew it,. the ECM record showed someone changing it.

In the end, they only knocked off some of the price but increased the interest on the truck due to him being late on one payment right after he got the truck. it lead to only about $5,000 on the total cost, and was done simply to to shut the guy up. What a rip-off indeed!.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Chamberpains

Messages In This Thread
Odometer question - Explosia - 08-03-2018,
RE: Odometer question - Rawze - 08-04-2018

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.