CM2250 tune up
09-26-2018, (Subject: CM2250 tune up ) 
CM2250 tune up
Hi everyone

Im going to appoligize in advance if what I'm writing gets a little confusing to most, I chose the being a driver over a writer, well because I suck at writing. But anyway, I recently purchased a 2013 pete 579 from my boss, I have been in the truck for the past 4 months before the purchase. The trucks been a decent truck the whole time I've been in it. But the biggest issue I've been working through is the soot getting into the oil. From the time I got into the truck on the first run with it I noticed that while hauling heavy, around 78000, about 49000lbs of milk, I noticed the oil pressure would drop from around 38 to 30 psi, and when this would happen the oil temps would rise to around 240 degrees, and than when I would hit the jake, I'd get a horibbible vibration. Well I looked at the records for the truck and the last oil change was around 16000 miles prior. So I had the oil and filters changed, and this helped for about 6000 miles oil pressure would stay around 38psi, after 6000 miles its start dropping and the same isssues. so I basically went 3 months were I was changing the oil every 4000 to 6000 miles. thats when I started doing alot of research. Turns out this engine has a huge carbon packing issue as you all already know, so ive known for months now I need to get this dirty oil under control. so the first thing my boss and I Decided is we tried an oil change with that valvoline blue restore, a good 1000 dollars for that oil change. And I can tell you that it helped alot, but I did make one mistake in the 11000 miles I ran it, and that was I didn't have a bypass filter setup on the help keep it clean. Also the other issue I was having and I know it contributed to the sooty oil, when I was loaded and climbing hills, I'd get this high piched whistle, and than a vibration that was basically the engine getting too much fuel and not enough air. So I replaced all the rubber charge pipe boots, pulled the intake, and noticed that their was corrsion building up between the head and intake manifold and pushing the manifold out and causing a leak. cleaned that up, new gasket, and cleaned the intake manifold and egr crossover, chaged the imap, and delta P sensors as per rawze's guidence in his videos, and the loaded vibration and high pitched noise is gone now. the truck is running great. Went from loaded and unloaded fuel milage of 5.9, maybe 6 if I'm lucky, to I'm lucky if I drop below 7mpg on a 600 mile trip loaded, and 8.5 to 9 unloaded. I do have a couple valve seals leaking I noticed when I had the intake off. I still need to check the overhead, and add a pyro gauge, and Bypass setup, and some other preventive maintence things that rawze has gone over. It never ends.

So the real question I have now that you know a little background of what I have and been dealing with, My boss or former boss now that I own the truck has purchased an extended warranty directly from cummins that goes for 2 years or 732000 miles, I have 562000 on it currently, now that I'm getting the oil under control and getting things working properly. I know it was said that I custom tune can help with the sooting issue, and I'm leaning both ways, say screw the warranty and tune it to run better, because one thing I hate is in 12th it will only go to 55mph around 1400 rpm, but when it starts going uphill, it takes a min, but it will pull in 12th all the way out to 63 or 64 and around 1600 rpm's, or wait till the inframe is done under warranty, but than the truck is down for a few weeks and not making any money, and its also one of the reasons we ran the blue restore through because it was a requirement for warranty purposes.

Any advice is welcome. and Again thankyou all for all the great info.
replyreply

Messages In This Thread
CM2250 tune up - Thegrinder - 09-26-2018
RE: CM2250 tune up - Rawze - 09-27-2018,
RE: CM2250 tune up - Rawze - 09-27-2018,
RE: CM2250 tune up - Waterloo - 09-27-2018,
RE: CM2250 tune up - Nilao - 09-28-2018,
RE: CM2250 tune up - Waterloo - 09-28-2018,
RE: CM2250 tune up - Waterloo - 09-28-2018,
RE: CM2250 tune up - Rawze - 10-09-2018,

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.