CAC Duri-Lite vs Stock
05-02-2016, (Subject: CAC Duri-Lite vs Stock ) 
CAC Duri-Lite vs Stock
It was documented on the old site about my CAC troubles.

I have 2009 Prostar and live and work in Canada pulling Super "B"s, (two trailers first has 3 axles and a fifth wheel, second has 2 axles) these are tankers and very common up here. Total GVW 63500 Kgs. I work in the oil patch so I also need to have a positive air shutdown on my intake system. This is an automatic gate valve that will block intake air in case of a runaway motor event, these valves are placed behind the CRC usually in the long blue with the wire in it. The problem I have started there, because I have to cut that blue tube the clamp wears on the wire and the tube fails prematurely. Being cheap and trying to find a better way I found a Kevlar reinforced heater hose rated for -40oF to +300oF (-40oc to +149oc) and 100psi made by Goodyear, 3ft for less than $35 Canadian.

That solved my piping problems but I still had a leaking CAC so off to the dealer and got talked into a Dura-lite, all was good with a bad mandate removal and an overspooling Turbo, truck had tons of POWER, and boost 50PSI was easy to hit. Fuel mileage sucked but so what it would pull.

Then I saw the light and found Rawse and this site, wanting to get better fuel mileage I went with a M*M* with Unilevers help. Got my turbo under control and my mileage came up a bit, but he could not get it dialled, (and he went the extra 10 miles trying) puffs of black on shifts and not as much power. Boost had dropped to 40Psi and I ran it like that for a bit.

I started the truck with the hood up one morning and noticed that the blue Pipe after the CAC collapsed. WTF it collapsed sucked closed!! After many discussions trips to the wrench puller and head scratching, we thought that the Dura-lite could be the problem. So again being cheap and a customer I called them to get the specs on the flow rate, of my fancy CAC. I was told that they were designed to be better at heat transfer, but that made them more restrictive on air flow, but it would not be a problem because the turbo would push past it.

Fast forward to today I had to go to the stealership for cab filters (have not found another source yet) and a quote for a new factory CAC and he shows me a cutaway of the OEM and Dura-Lite. You tell me what one you would pick.

./uploads/201605/post_225_1462238406_e145837049b49ea86ad1da4acbc5c39d.jpeg

Dura-Suck on the left OEM on the right
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Toolguy

Messages In This Thread
CAC Duri-Lite vs Stock - 8042 - 05-02-2016

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.