Trucks getting hit by lightning? Now common?
12-28-2018, (Subject: Trucks getting hit by lightning? Now common? ) 
Trucks getting hit by lightning? Now common?
I was up at the dealer yesterday (Michigan) getting that bumper of mine installed... There was a brand new LT (ProStar) in one of the bays... I asked what was wrong with this one, it is so new, still had that new truck smell. It was a Byrum truck, out of Florida. Mechanic said it was hit by lightning. Fried every electrical component in the truck, and I mean everything. The bill on that one was already over $30,000.

This is the third ProStar/LT these guys have had in their shop for lightning hits in the past year and a half. The last truck sustained over $50,000 in damage. The first one they did, had to have harnesses made by Navistar as it literally melted the motor and cab harnesses, that bill was over $60,000! These were all 2015 and newer trucks.

The purpose of this post is to ask, does anyone know why these trucks are getting hit like this? Is it all of the electronics onboard these things? Some sort of static output or frequency that attracts lightning hits?

To note, the claims adjuster stated that this is getting to be a common event. I''ve been driving quite awhile and have been hit more than a few times with lightning, and never experienced anything like I am seeing in these new trucks. Worst case was a fried CB radio.

Any thoughts? Prevention? Just find this all odd, as I have seen these three trucks myself in this shop. Only one of the trucks had any evidence of a direct lightning hit, and that was just a slight burn in the paint.
replyreply

Messages In This Thread
Trucks getting hit by lightning? Now common? - Waterloo - 12-28-2018

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.