Trucks getting hit by lightning? Now common?
12-28-2018, (Subject: Trucks getting hit by lightning? Now common? ) 
RE: Trucks getting hit by lightning? Now common?
Pulling a lowbed, lightning freaks me out. Unless I'm empty, my trailer is usually within 6" of the ground, and I'm almost always hauling equipment...which of course has no shortage of steel in it. It's like a rolling lightning rod.
So far I haven't been hit, knock on wood!
Years ago one of our guys got a direct hit. Killed the ECM, and other electronic stuff in the truck, CB, satellite, etc., also welded the drive axle wheel bearings. They changed the steers and trailer bearings as well, but they didn't show damage.
He said he was just driving along in the rain, and BOOM...then dead silence. He coasted over to the shoulder.
When the wrecker got there to tow him, they couldn't get the truck to roll, and that was when they knew something was wrong in the drives/diff's, but they "welded" after he stopped, cause it didn't skid the tires.

This was one of the early electronic Cat motors, back before cab controllers n such like nowadays. I don't think I'd wanna know how much there is to get screwed up in one of these new ones.

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo

Messages In This Thread
RE: Trucks getting hit by lightning? Now common? - Hammerhead - 12-28-2018

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.