Belly Dumps
01-01-2019, (Subject: Belly Dumps ) 
RE: Belly Dumps
(01-01-2019 )imalumberjack Wrote:  
(12-31-2018 )arch_stanton Wrote:  
(12-31-2018 )Claw Wrote:  I haven't really worked on much just the normal pop a fuse out chase light small stuff like that but i'm definitely going to be learning. I have a friend that is a diesel mechanic so i'm going to learn as much as possible from him in order to save some money. I do have a broker that will be charging me 9 percent to use his trailers and my dad has known since high school so i'm hoping that will help get me a little higher on the list lol. Do the super tens get as slow as the bottom dumps iv'e hear it a little easier to find work for them since they get in to tighter places than doubles.
I think the going rate for trailer rental through a broker is 25% so 9% would be great. The great thing about super 10's is there are one and 2 truck jobs you don't have to be part of a major job to get work and the tighter jobs can not be done with bottoms, pup,s or end dumps. The main thing that will keep your truck busy is what is your brokers main focus and how aggressive they are within your area and the market can change and leave you S.O.L. In San Diego the go to dump site for fill dirt for years was the landfill, they did not take bottom dumps or end dumps so I had a big cost advantage over the super 10's, 10 wheels, and bottom dumps, but about 2 years ago they changed the rules to no pup trailers, now super 10's due all the work so my pup trailers are sitting way more, but things can change at any time and pups become more competitive again its good to be flexible. The new T880 has the cummins X15,18 speed auto shift, 46k rears on ADZ air ride.
Super 10? is that what I am calling super tag? tag axle on back, oversized bed? empty at 23 thou and carry 65,000? we are getting whole fleets of them around here and they beat out an end dump. Being a logger I always hate giving up the adaptability of a tractor, I could haul logs, chips, rock, dirt, lowboy or even send it over the road if needed.
The problem around hear is the end dump does not haul as much as a double bottom or a pup the end dump is usually low sided to haul big rock and can not get the yardage, when I'm loading with a 966 I can get 4 buckets in a double bottom or pup but the end dump usually only can take 3 buckets and if its is possible to get the 4th bucket it takes more time to get it right. then they take longer to dump and need more room and a more level and better compaction so they don't tip over. As a grading contractor I don't want end dumps on my job if I have the choice, When hauling asphalt or concrete demo my pups haul more and are faster to load and dump. my solution to your problem to keep a fifth wheel truck working was to custom build a dump box with the fifth under at all times and the box is removable or can be reinstalled in 5 minutes without getting your hands dirty, it works good but was not cheap or easy to design and build. The other solution I have see is to run double bottoms with a 3 Axel tractor just need the 5th wheel to slide way back.
replyreply

Messages In This Thread
Belly Dumps - Claw - 12-31-2018,
RE: Belly Dumps - arch_stanton - 12-31-2018,
RE: Belly Dumps - Claw - 12-31-2018,
RE: Belly Dumps - arch_stanton - 01-01-2019
RE: Belly Dumps - Claw - 01-02-2019,
RE: Belly Dumps - tree98 - 01-01-2019,
RE: Belly Dumps - redbeard - 01-01-2019,
RE: Belly Dumps - arch_stanton - 01-01-2019,
RE: Belly Dumps - arch_stanton - 01-02-2019,
RE: Belly Dumps - Claw - 01-02-2019,
RE: Belly Dumps - arch_stanton - 01-03-2019,
RE: Belly Dumps - arch_stanton - 01-03-2019,

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.