ISX OIL COOLERS
01-29-2017, (Subject: ISX OIL COOLERS ) 
RE: ISX OIL COOLERS
(01-28-2017 )Tanker93 Wrote:  ...
Deletes over here have been costly for us.. Obviously everybody's certain and assures you they've got the right tune for your cpl and blah blah then unfortunately some of them have gone bad. Majority however have been successful (running fixed turbo too). But finding 1 good, reliable tuner has been hard.

He PM'd me. He is from Aussie. It is likely that his application is of constant high-torque? -- and I know I have seen several people from down under tell me that it is very difficult and expensive to get replacement VG turbochargers, but that a Holset HX60 series turbo's isn't too bad as a replacement if the VG fails because they aren't as concerned about lower rpm and lower torque fuel mileages like we are here in the states as much. Their applications, RPM, Weights, etc. are much different than ours, that is for sure.

I am not a proponent of removing the VG turbo at all because you loose its wide range of adjustability that contributes greatly towards both efficient power and fuel economy. Even if you live in Aussie and have high torque/power needs, it still has an advantage when programmed correctly. It can be adjusted to suit the task well enough, but I also do understand the problems with availability, durability, and expense too. One must be weighed against the other long term for best profitability.

That being said, it is not a good idea to remove the VG turbo here in the states or in any other applications that require a wide range of varying speeds and loads at all. You just loose too much efficiency, low end torque, etc. and it costs more in fuel losses and extra wear to the engine than to NOT have one. A typical replacement of 500 - 600k miles or so (I have seen them last 800k+ when cared for) as they wear out still costs much less than the fuel loss differences in that time span. I think a lot of people also don't realize that even a non-vg turbo lifespan is about 800k miles, not a million+ like some would have people believe.

With all that said, and given you are in Aussie land, I can see where some would have you remove the VG, but this does not mean what program someone has done or has made for you is correct by any means. Most deletes I have seen from over there that axe the VG turbo do not have proper corrections in them for things like re-establishing correct inlet temps etc. and this throws off the entire combustion cycle in the ECM. The result is less than optimal, and can even be harmful long term.

I know that I have helped out Unilevers and Gearhead both in the past for figuring out and calculating/correcting these same deficiencies, and know that they have taken that info and used it to work out the proper methods through established testing. Myself, I do not mess with non-vg trucks, engines, etc. and leave that to them, as they have put much effort in figuring out just that.

- Even so, both of them are quick to say that a non-vg IS quite a bit less fuel efficient for the same reasons I have stated above, and Gearhead in particular put it clearly. There is a big difference in being able to adjust BOTH fuel and air, vs forcing the engine and its fueling system to become a slave of the "fixed" amount of air that the turbo is willing to provide at different RPM and torque ranges. - The power curve becomes much different, and is a lot more pronounced when everything is re-adjusted to be in spec. This makes the engine sluggish at take-off, almost to the point of having to over-fuel the engine to get it going, but have good efficiency at higher torque, and in certain RPM ranges, will match or even slightly exceed a VG turbo but not by enough to make up for the rest. Overall, the performance suffers for a highway truck in most freight hauling applications.

Either way, I hope you are using staying with Holset turbochargers. Other brands have been proven less efficient by quite a bit these days.

====

If you want to know if your programming is good, I would suggest sending a copy of what is in your truck to one of them (and/or myself) for a look to see how correct it is. - At least, if I owned a truck that has been custom tuned and was not sure,.. That is what I would do.-- I would have it analyzed by a couple different people and get some solid opinion and explanation on what is in there, and what changes were made.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: overshot , fargonaz , Toolguy

Messages In This Thread
RE: ISX oil coolers - schISM - 05-09-2016,
RE: ISX OIL COOLERS - schISM - 05-10-2016,
RE: ISX OIL COOLERS - Tanker93 - 01-28-2017,
RE: ISX OIL COOLERS - Rawze - 01-28-2017,
RE: ISX OIL COOLERS - Marajin - 01-28-2017,
RE: ISX OIL COOLERS - Waterloo - 01-28-2017,
RE: ISX OIL COOLERS - Waterloo - 01-28-2017,
RE: ISX OIL COOLERS - Rawze - 01-29-2017
RE: ISX OIL COOLERS - gearhead - 01-29-2017,
RE: ISX OIL COOLERS - schISM - 01-29-2017,
RE: ISX OIL COOLERS - Tanker93 - 01-30-2017,
RE: ISX OIL COOLERS - schISM - 01-30-2017,

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.