Holey DPF!
05-15-2019, (Subject: Holey DPF! ) 
RE: Holey DPF!
(05-15-2019 )hookliftpete Wrote:  This is the results of the 'Can't win with new injectors in ISC' thread.

I ended up replacing the remaining injectors, tubes, supply lines, etc. Despite my preference, I did not end up doing a delete, for several reasons.

Also, with an old dpf laying around, I thought I'd give it a try and put some holes in it! Shoot me if you like, but I'm 4 weeks out now with 20 3/8" holes in the filter, with the dpf differential pressure reading normally and no regen performed by the ecm since. I have done a parked regen, which as expected, completed very quickly, and made tons of smoke.

What are the pitfalls to this approach? DOT could be nosy and see the bit of soot on the tip of the stack, but otherwise the aftertreatment system is doing it's thing.

I realize that 20 3/8" holes are not going to allow the same volume of exhaust to pass through and some of it must pass through the filter. If so, and it never does a regen except when I force one, will this create an issue down the road?

So far, I'm happy, since I'm coming from a regen every 4 hours or so, and have picked up 1/2 mpg on average.

What say you more experienced folk?

I have seen guys find that "majic number of small holes" that fools the system into thinking everything is still ok in the past.

Just remember that ----

* There is a soot level counter in the ECU that will eventually become higher than the readings of the DPF and eventually start to give you fits. I.E.> the ECU estimates how much soot buildup there "should be" based on fuel and other engine use, and eventually it will count high enough that it will become mis-matched.

* There is high risk of the DPF /DOC collapsing, or the holes not being quite enough for good exhaust flow. It can cause eventual exhaust restrictions and engine/turbo heat problems and eventual damage.

* The EGR system still needs regular maintenance to prevent fuel mileage and efficiency losses.

* Lastly, your actions towards this DOES NOT CURE THE ACTUAL PROBLEM that is causing whatever repeating DPF and other issues you were having at all. There is still a problem somewhere in the engine and/or its EGR system that has not been fixed, costing you fuel mileage, or some other thing that may eventually cause real engine damage. In other words, DOC/DPF problems are the RESULT of engine and egr problems,.. not the cause. Drilling them out does not cure the "cause".
---

Other than that, I have seen guys do this type of thing and get away with it for a while,.. but most of them resorted to more drastic measures (deleting it properly) before it was eventually over with.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply

Messages In This Thread
Holey DPF! - hookliftpete - 05-15-2019,
RE: Holey DPF! - Lonestar10 - 05-15-2019,
RE: Holey DPF! - hookliftpete - 05-15-2019,
RE: Holey DPF! - Evotrucker - 05-15-2019,
RE: Holey DPF! - Rawze - 05-15-2019
RE: Holey DPF! - hookliftpete - 05-15-2019,
RE: Holey DPF! - DVT873 - 05-19-2019,
RE: Holey DPF! - hookliftpete - 05-19-2019,
RE: Holey DPF! - Chamberpains - 05-19-2019,
RE: Holey DPF! - Evotrucker - 05-20-2019,
RE: Holey DPF! - Lonestar10 - 05-19-2019,
RE: Holey DPF! - Chamberpains - 05-20-2019,
RE: Holey DPF! - Rawze - 05-20-2019,
RE: Holey DPF! - smorgan87 - 05-20-2019,
RE: Holey DPF! - hookliftpete - 05-21-2019,

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.