C15 6nz Inframe time
08-17-2019, (Subject: C15 6nz Inframe time ) 
C15 6nz Inframe time
Hi Gents,

She’s finally gave in...

Few days back it started pushing coolant out of the overflow tube. So we went and bought one of those combustion leak detector kit, gave that a crack and it didn’t detect anything. Being all excited went for a drive she was all good.

The following day brother picks up a load while driving it started again! So seems to only push coolant out once under load and maybe that’s why the leak kit didn’t detect anything?

Anyway to be certain we isolated the compressor by blocking the 2 coolant hoses (inlet/outlet) ran overflow tube into a bucket of water reved it for a few minutes and yep she pushed coolant through and started bubbling pretty bad.

I was devastated that truck has served us well, it’s a Freightliner century and the only parts I’ve changed on it over the course of 7-8 years is an oil cooler, clutch, uni, front pins/bushes, hand brake valve not to mention fix and repair the weak poorly designed plastic dash parts, bonnet mount and last but not least injector cups and valve bridge. That was a sign the cylinder head is toast!

My heart tells me it’s the head but could be dropped liner, either way Tuesday dropping her off to a friends friend that used to work at Cat many years ago and started on his own. I don’t have the time or tools to do it, like counterbore etc, plus it’s more the downtime we are losing on.

Thought I’ll post this thread so I can get some advice on the rebuild process and what you guys recommend? Any tips appreciated.

I’m thinking {name removeed} piston liner kit? Or pay abit extra for genuine?
Head should we go new or reco it if it’s not cracked? Been hearing horror stories from motors being built at our local Cat stealership, my mate bring one of them! He told me his truck vibrates through some of the rev range (c15 acert) spent big bucks also.
Forgot to mention we did the bearings about 200k ago should we change them again to be safe during the rebuild process?

We are thinking of only keeping this truck for another 6-12 months then selling it and sticking with the 2 western stars that have cm871 in them. Much nicer trucks to drive, easier to maintain only because of this site! Plus they are a lot quieter and more fuel efficient. Thing is I know if we rebuild the cat right she will serve us good again. Another thing I hate is the flimsy cabin parts on those Freightliner’s it’s like they were built on the same line as Hyundai passenger cars!

Anyway just want to give a shout out to Rawze for hosting this site haha, I’m about to hit the ‘post thread’ button without proof reading, so excuse any grammar or spelling mistakes. Eyes are starting to hurt using this little iPhone.

Thanks
replyreply

Messages In This Thread
C15 6nz Inframe time - multitask - 08-17-2019
RE: C15 6nz Inframe time - Unilevers - 08-18-2019,
RE: C15 6nz Inframe time - Unilevers - 08-21-2019,
RE: C15 6nz Inframe time - Unilevers - 08-21-2019,

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.