My dilemma Cat vs Cummins
10-20-2019, (Subject: My dilemma Cat vs Cummins ) 
My dilemma Cat vs Cummins
Over the last 10 years I have owned 7 trucks in the Alberta..... 7 life sucking trucks! Over the last year and a bit I have been selling them all off trying to get down to 1 unit. At the beginning of 2019 I parked the last trucks and stopped hiring and have been floating everything for the 3 remaining trucks off 1 trucks income and while that may sound stupid, I've been making alot more money without employees and extra trucks! I have spent the last year paying off all the debt I racked up and getting ready to rebuild my peterbilt (as that is the truck I'm keeping)

Some of you may remember that I spent alot of money having my peterbilt Cat engine rebuilt, so much on that engine is new, we did harnesses, ecm, compressor, oil cooler, water pump and injectors and fuel pump with all regulators, I replaced every single sensor on the engine. We did not do Turbos as they were relatively new.

Well that scam artist didnt cut the counter bores even though he was paid to so the head gasket blew shortly after. He put a new one on and 2 weeks later it blew again. My wife and I tore it down to find the problem and it's been sitting ever since last summer now opened up (covered but still)

Now we are getting a mechanic to pull the block Monday and we are debating which route to go. We already have boughton the cylinder packs and spacer plate, the head was still new but we are gonna send it to a machine shop to clean up, If we keep the Cat we will send the block and crank and rods to a shop to get the full works then we will build it up beautifully.

The injectors ended up accumulating surface rust on them as there was a small leak in the roof of the truck and it was dripping on the injectors I had laying inside so I dont know if they will be reusable. If I dont need injectors and turbos then this would cost the same as it would to swap a ISX.

If I do need injectors and turbos I can add $23,000cdn to this bill so a used ISX swap would be much less.

I am considering selling the cat for parts and putting in a used cm871 instead. I can find one for 10 to 15 canadian. There is a recon that 4 years old and another couple options.

With the cat itll be new but its cat, expensive parts and crap mileage, with the isx I'll have great mileage and good parts and amazing support due to quick serve and this forum.

I'm struggling, i know I'm comparing a full rebuild to abused engine but I'm really leaning ISX..... the wife is thinking Cat if we dont need injectors and turbos cause itll be cheaper and rebuilt.

Thoughts?

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply

Messages In This Thread
My dilemma Cat vs Cummins - Brock - 10-20-2019
RE: My dilemma Cat vs Cummins - Unilevers - 10-20-2019,

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.