05 VNL hood repair
12-02-2019, (Subject: 05 VNL hood repair ) 
RE: 05 VNL hood repair
(11-28-2019 )Rawze Wrote:  I am no professional at it, but I am not half bad, can do it at least the right ways.

Its fairly easy to fix fibreglass hoods. I have fixed mine many times in the past, even once from major deer strike took out whole front of it into pieces. I have also shown many people on theirs how to do themselves who have come here.

The tricks are...

* properly grind out the area to be patched before laying in any new fibreglass. there is a certain method for this and if not done in a certain way, the patch will not hold properly.

* Using multiple layers of painters tape on one side as a backing across all gaps to lay the new glass into.

* using the right type of matting. For hoods, random, rough matting is best type. It gives strength in all directions and is same style as hood was made of originally.

* NOT using too much resin. this is most people's mistake. -- Too much resin == the repair will not have enough give to it and it cracks again later.

------------------------------
-- Grinding out the area properly is the biggest mistake ppl make when doing repairs and it will not hold for s$it if this is not done right. I am not talking about getting it clean (that is easy to figure out),.. but about the proper angles, shape of the grind, etc.

-- Next is too much resin, and it cracks again later under any kind of stress.

Sorry for the late reply rawze but I wanted to come back with to you once I was done. I wish I found this out earlier this year maybe in the spring or summer time, I could have done this over the weekend vs doing it in the winter...

Here are some pictures, it’s my first time working with fiber glass and I tried to do my best and learn as I was going. I’m hoping this will last until I get another good once I get back to work. This old one is on its last legs... tell me how I did lol. I know it’s shi#t but hopefully it will do its job. Watched a couple of YouTube videos and went on from there.

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

User's Signature: The creator said " Help your self and I will help you; Protect your self and I will protect you "
replyreply

Messages In This Thread
RE: 05 VNL hood repair - Rawze - 11-28-2019,
RE: 05 VNL hood repair - Evotrucker - 12-02-2019

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.